I need black locust logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhodyFresh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am looking for black locust logs in Rhode Island or southeast Mass. I need logs that are at least 10' to be milled down to 9.5" stock. If anybody knows anything please let me know.
-T

Curious what you will be doing with them. B Locust is one of the more rot resistant species. I've pulled 50 year old locust fence posts out of the ground that were still as solid as the day they were put in. The tops of the posts were weatherbeaten and sometimes cracked or deteriorated from all those years of weather, but the part under ground was still solid good wood.

Also curious. The guy I bought my ripsaw from told me he had sawn locust more than anything else; he was acquiring all the timber for a sailboat. Apparently, locust had the right structural strength/ rot resistance, and dry weight that made it better than white oak or other available species for his application. I know PA has a HUGE amount of locust. My girlfriend's area has many 24" + locusts. I can't help but think about barns and nice warm woodstove fires every time I see a locust tree.

Back