I need help Identifying this chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It's Stihl chain, .404, .63, full chisel, round ground

The only numbers on it are the .404, a 6 for .63 and the either a 61 or a G1 every few tie straps.

It's the only .404 the Stihl dealership had laying around and it is likely an older chain.

Still new and cut great on my C51 until I got into the frozen gravel on ground skidded logs.

I am looking angle for info before I sharpen.

No specific info for that particular chain, but in general, full chisel round is sharpened at 60/30/10, and all those numbers are tweakable as suits your fancy.

soft wood = more angle, hard wood=less angle. theres no perfect angle unless u send it back to Stihl. use the correct file and only hit the drags after the chain is half wore out

I bought some carlton FOP's and used the .404\Chisel on it tonight. I'll see how it does tomorrow. SHouldn't be any gravel this time, we will be on ice cutting dead swamp wood.

just another idea, semi-chisel may help you out with the ice. its not as aggresive but it may stay sharp longer for ay

Back