I need help with Dead tree that's come back alive.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiselsk

Reaction score
We moved into government housing during the summer and noticed a young tree in the backyard the clearly looked dead. I was told it was planted 2 to 3 years ago and never cared for. Just yesterday I noticed some new growth so I pruned it and gave it 2 gallons of water with miracle grow. I'm not sure but it may be a lilac tree. I know it's a flowering tree. What else can I do to help this tree survive?

It looks like you've done well. Is that tree in a dog pen?

If the tree will stand on it's own it's time to remove the stakes.

That's the back corner of our yard, no dog pen, they put chain link fencing instead of wood. It looks like it will, so I will remove the stake. Any idea what kind of tree it is?

Welcome to the site!
No idea what that is (the pruning looks good from my noob perspective, lots of vigor there and not over-done imo), hazzard a guess I vote some sort of plum (check the ground for pits or other evidence etc), anyhow, here is a great tree ID site many are familiar with >http://forestry.about.com/bltreid09.htm , worth a look-see with a huge data base and user friendly too!

:cheers:

Serge

Looks like red maple to me. nice pruning job. Besides removing the stakes I would suggest some mulch around the base of the tree. About 2 inches or so in a 3' ring will be fine. Just don't pile it on around the base of the tree. Maybe a small fence to keep the dog from using it as a urinal and it may have a chance. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back