I need help with my Live Oaks in Miami Florida

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiamiTree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have seven large Live Oaks on my property in Miami Florida and I need a good arborist to do corrective pruning on them. I had two of the largest tree care companies in South Florida come by my property and quote me on the job. Both companies told me they will send a certified arborist to do the job. I trusted them and instead of a certified arborist these companies sent me some immigrants with chainsaws that had no idea about proper tree care. I sent them all home. I don't know what to do. These trees are too large for me to do the work and I need a true professional to help me.

Al

MiamiTree said:
I had two of the largest tree care companies in South Florida come by my property and quote me on the job. Both companies told me they will send a certified arborist to do the job. I trusted them and instead of a certified arborist these companies sent me some immigrants with chainsaws that had no idea about proper tree care. l

Call a smaller company. Size does not matter in tree work or many other matters.

It ain't the meat, it's the motion. :clap:

help with live oaks

http://www.isa-arbor.com/findArborist/findarborist.aspx

This is a link to the ISA locator for certified arborists. Perhaps You can locate someone in your area from this.

Don't be afraid to ask questions of the people you interview for this work. You want to know how long they've been in the business, how much experience they've had with the sort of trees you have (depending on what needs to be done - for instance, you may want to 'farm out' something like a complicated cabling job to one person with that specific experience and expertise and another portion of the job to someone else with more experience in another area).

Are you in Coconut Grove?? Some of the loveliest live oaks I've ever seen are there.

I am near Coconut Grove and near Coral Gables. My area is full of badly cut Live Oaks and other trees. Is very sad to see. It got worse after the hurricanes we had recently, people cut their trees any way they see fit and most of them have very little canopy left. My oaks in particular have been abused a lot over the years. Is hard to find a reputable company down here. Most certified arborists don't do the work themselves but hire cheap labor to do the actual work and all they do is give estimates. At this point is already too hot to do any work on the Live Oaks. I need to start looking now to do the work in December or early January when the oaks are dormant. I don't have a lot of specific knowledge on what needs to be done that is why I need an arborist that can tell me what the best course of action will be.
The way I see it most of my oaks have very little canopy left in them for their size. This is the result of the hurricanes and one of the companies that came over pruned 3 of my oaks before I realized what they were doing and told them to leave the rest alone. I have come to realize a Live Oak is a creature that needs a lot of space to grow. The lot were my property is located is 19,000 square feet and has 7 mature live oaks in it so go figure. Some people have no clue what they are getting into when they plant a Live Oak. Live Oaks are massive trees when fully grown. I guess they see the little sapling at the nursery and say "what a nice little tree for my yard lets plant 7 of them". Here I am 100 or 150 years later dealing with seven huge plants all around my property, badly cut over the years, with insect damage, included bark, co-dominant stems, etc some of them almost touching my outside walls with their trunks and with hurricanes coming every year into the foreseeable future. Very scary.

Someone fly to AL and help um out.
Dont lion tail um.As Stumper says" lion tailing is a way of forcing the tree into an over mature appearance." Stumper should know he's got over 5000 post here.

Its sad to hear this again and again. Al said, ""Most certified arborists don't do the work themselves but hire cheap labor to do the actual work and all they do is give estimates.""

I agree with you AL I lived in an area back in the 90's of the 5 C.A.'s I was the only one no spiking the trees. As well as the only climbing C.A.

Pictures of my oaks

Here are pictures of some of my oaks. Some have fresh cuts made by one of the companies I hired about two weeks ago.

Al

live oaks

WOW - that's a lot of big trees in a small space. Any tree damage to your or the neighbors houses from last year?

Hurricane Damage

There was no damage from falling branches to the house or any other structure. Only one big branch fell on the side of my pool and two other big branches snapped but stayed on top of one of the oaks in the middle of the yard. The only damage occurred two weeks ago when one of the guys that showed up to do the work cut one of the hanging branches without properly securing it and it broke the side of my swimming pool. I will post some pictures of the morning after the hurricane next week so you can see.

Tom Dunlap said:
Get hold of Gigi at Dot Pam tree service in Marathon. If for some reason they can't take care of your trees they'll be able to hook you up with a proper company in your area.

Hi MiamiTree, welcome to the site. I am Gigi from Dot Palm. We are licenced in Dade County but are based down in Marathon, Fl., in the keys. Both of our Arborist go to Miami on the weekends, so if you would like to contact me at [email protected] I will see if we can get up and look at your trees. I will show the pictures to the arborist in the morning, as both have left for the day.
I don't know of any companies up there, so I am not in a postition to recommend anyone.

MiamiTree said:
one of the guys that showed up to do the work cut one of the hanging branches without properly securing it and it broke the side of my swimming pool. .

They should pay for the repair plus for the inconvienience.

without "before" pics it's hard to say but it looks like some liontailing and some unnecessarily large wounds.

Oaks can mature close to each other just fine if managed right.

Well there has just been one bad job after another on these trees. I bought the house 3 years ago and the trees had already been hacked with a machete by the previous landscape guy. He couldn't haul the chainsaw up the oak so he hacked 3 foot branches with a machete. Many of the large branches are hollow in the middle from damp wood termites entering previous wounds. One of these hollow branches snapped during the last hurricane. Is hard to tell the inside condition of a branch, sometimes they look nice and healthy from the outside but they have termite cavities inside.

Latest posts

Back