I need some help here guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to give an update, I just heard from the shop. Another new clutch has been installed (thats #3 over this whole ordeal but who's counting) and it is "smooth as silk." Seems it was the clutch, despite what his "experienced technician" says. You know the biggest thing he should be thinking right now is "well, I will never see him again"

To cap everything off... Went to pick up the truck and sure enough it works great now. Go to find out the shop put in an after market clutch initially but never compared it to the original one (still in the bed from the 1st shop). When they pulled the after market one out they had a crazy idea "lets see how it compares to the original...Oh damn, that doesn't look right!!!" This time around they used AC Delco parts. Now wanted me to pay another $198 because the AC Delco clutch kit cost more then the after market but didn't tell me this until I was picking the truck up. I was not too happy about this and didn't want to pay it, having been told I wouldn't pay anything if it worked properly. Shop gave me an ultimatum, either I accept $98 of the charge or they re-do the work AGAIN and put the old parts back in. I couldn't believe they would suck up 7 hours of labor to make a point of $98. Everyone in Northern Virginia...DON'T GO TO JOYCE MOTORS IN ARLINGTON, VA!!!!!!!

Most of the time it pays to use oem parts...looking up the parts by a vin number really helps too.

Glad to hear you are back on the road:clap:

Seems like they should have called you to tell you about the extra charge. Did you get it in writting that they would fix it? If you did seems like you could take them to small claims court. Kinda petty for that but it is the principal of the whole deal. It was on them to fix it and if they chose to use better parts they should pay for it. They said they would fix it at no extra cost to you.
I would call the better business bureau also and let them know.

Yeah the BBB may get a ring after all I went through. Just goes to show you how easy it is for a shop to take advantage of someone.

At our shop, if anything extra pops up i give the customer a call asap to see what they want us to do. The sooner i call them, the quicker its done and the less time my techs. are standing around. You can defenetly take them to court, but for $98, i'm not sure if it would be worth your while. At my shop, i'd have told you we put in an OEM clutch, ...it was more money but we'll eat the cost for all the trouble. Then chances are i'd have a repeat customer. Glad to here the truck is fixed though.

Probably the second biggest thing in all this, first being the money I lost, is if a car of mine or a family member need repair and I don't have time/am not around to do it I don't know where to go. Here's a question for you mechanics out here. How does an average person fined a honest shop? Feels like I might as well be throwing dart boards at the phone book to decide.

Word-of-mouth is how we get most of our buisness. The nearest shop is 6 miles away and thats just a Goodyear Tire dealer. We do alot of work for the U.S Gov. (forestry), National Fuel,And UPS's heavy work. Alot of the people who work for those companies bring there personal vehicals to us, and they tell people etc....... I'd say the best thing to do is talk to people, go to your saw shop, hardware store, gas station and ask if they know any reputable garages.

Back