'Wooding' truck died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
89 F150 4spd manual, 6cyl, 2x - that is what I prefer in a working truck

Went out a bucked noodled 1/2 load of willow then fell a huge willow (36"dbh) for Mike my cutting partner. Stopped at Tim's to pull a butt log off a stump since I had some weight for traction.

Fired up truck to leave and got a couple 'grunts" then fired on third one. Aha, new battery time, I'll stop at the tire shop on way home...nope, what sounded like the throwout bearing started squeling every time I used the clutch...got louder every time I shifted (mostly in town), got to be stubborn for clutch to disengage. Limped into Les Schwab (tire store) for the battery...not needed, battery and alternator in tip top shape. They had a problem trying to get truck out of shop. I tried, Grunted then started but couldn't get it in gear. shut down and couldn't get box into neutral...finally did and then it would shift freely. Tried restart, no go, something bound up so bad the starter wouldn't roll it over.

Truck now at Mast4er's Touch in town.

Hope I don't have to find another one. Stripped down pickups are very hard to come by any more.

Looks like I will be using the car for my wood cutting trips for awhile. Stockpile rounds until I have either Old Faithful again or a replacement.

Not being able to get in gear sounds like a clutch issue to me. If you are handy the replacement can be done for under $200 for all new flywheel, clutch pressure plate and disk, throw out bearing, slave cylinder, and master cylinder and line. I just did the one in my 95 F150 last fall. Heavy shopping and use of discount codes gets it done pretty cheap.

Not being able to get in gear sounds like a clutch issue to me. If you are handy the replacement can be done for under $200 for all new flywheel, clutch pressure plate and disk, throw out bearing, slave cylinder, and master cylinder and line. I just did the one in my 95 F150 last fall. Heavy shopping and use of discount codes gets it done pretty cheap.

That is encouraging price wise but I am not set up to do the work. The Mechanic shop in town is fairly reasonalbe and I'm hoping to get out under $2,000. I'll be talking to them tomorrow.

clutch doesn't go out just like that, unless it had "symptoms" leading up to today. Most likely a master/slave cylinder assembly problem. Can be purchased as a complete pre-bled unit. I'd try this first before tearing into the clutch.

If that truck has the Mazda trans like mine, the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing which requires transmission removal to service. At that point you may as well replace the clutch and pressure plate while you're in there. That's what I did.

clutch doesn't go out just like that, unless it had "symptoms" leading up to today. Most likely a master/slave cylinder assembly problem. Can be purchased as a complete pre-bled unit. I'd try this first before tearing into the clutch.

There was some indication for a week or two, Starting didn't sound quite right, like a battery dying. The "squealing" when using the clutch I can only attribute to the throwout bearing. I have also considered a broken moto mount.

Today was a holiday so I will be consulting with the mechanic shop in the morning.

Here it is a week later and still no truck, hasn't moved from where it was parked all week.

Tuesday "maybe tomorrow"
Friday 8am - "today's the day"

Still parked in same spot. Will be talking to him Monday morning being careful not to get angry or piss him off.

If he's honest, fair priced, and doesn't mind, working on older vehicles it's probably worth waiting. A little gentile prod probably wouldn't hurt. I know at our shop, right or wrong, sometimes if a customer with more perceived need has a vehicle towed in (single mom, gotta get to work, sick...) their vehicle can jump ahead of others in the shop. Someone with a known second vehicle in the shop can easily get pushed back. Especially if you used the words "no" and "hurry" anywhere close to each other in conversation.

Now that I think about it pretty much all our customers have a sob story. Better get yours going. I'm thinking it is about time for the weather to turn and your only means of heat is is wood. That's true. You can just leave out the fact that you have 10 years worth ready to go.

Now that I think about it pretty much all our customers have a sob story. Better get yours going. I'm thinking it is about time for the weather to turn and your only means of heat is is wood. That's true. You can just leave out the fact that you have 10 years worth ready to go.

True, I do have 10years plus but I am going to use the "I have orders to deliver" which is NOT true.

Here it is a week later and still no truck, hasn't moved from where it was parked all week.

Tuesday "maybe tomorrow"
Friday 8am - "today's the day"

Still parked in same spot. Will be talking to him Monday morning being careful not to get angry or piss him off.

Mechanics are just like Sheep and Clintons. . .they all lie.

Shouldn't be more than $21.89 cents for a clutch release bearing.

Latest posts

Back