I.S.A Board Certified Master Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
xtremetrees said:
Until ISA comes up with an ethics board or similar body to review questionable practices...Is the ISA doing anything to regulate its own? No.Does it propagate dishonesty in order to furter education about itself? Yes. .
BCMA comes with a 12-page Ethics Policy that calls for stiff penalties for violations. If a CA messed up bad they should be reported, and the report followed up on. don't expect action after just one call.

Propagating dishonesty? That's a little strong, isn't it? There's no intent to keep bad actors in business that you know of is there?

alanarbor

alanarbor

ArboristSite Guru
I'll be taking the BCMA exam in the couple months. $350.00 for the certifaction, the proof to myself and others that I'm not talking out my a$$ when I talk about trees? I can't ask for a better deal....less than a dollar a day. Sure I have to commit time and money to keeping it current, but I love the commitment to education that certification requires.

It's shameful how many certified arborists attend training just to skip out early and have someone else write their name on the paperwork. There are people who care, and then the people who do just enough to squeak by. (their work speaks for itself)

I've spent the last 13 years touching trees with my bare hands, chainsaws, handsaws, pesticides, fertilizers, air tools, compost, you name it.

This test means a lot to me, and I hope it will give me the ability to touch more trees and yes, make more money.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
This test means a lot to me, and I hope it will give me the ability to touch more trees and yes, make more money.
Yup it can do that. By verifying you are qualified to consult, your time is worth more. My bcma was a good investment, and I'll pay to re-up without (too much) pain.
:cheers:

M.D. Vaden

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
I like the point system overall to be able to sit for the exam. My background is a squeek under being able to take the exams, but its nice that it raises the experience and background bar to represent that level of arboriculture.

Not sure if I'd want to persue that certification, but I support it fully.

alanarbor

alanarbor

ArboristSite Guru
Well,

I just took the BCMA test today, and passed. Passing was kind of anticlimactic in a way, as the real hard part was deciding I was ready to take it.

So I guess it's beer:30 now!
:cheers:

D Mc

ArboristSite Operative
Congrats Alanarbor!

My goal is to sit the BMCA test in another year. Becoming certified was a hard decision for me but has inspired me to keep learning. It has also given our company clout in handling situations within one of our local towns, dealing with the Public Works Dept and their sidewalk projects, talking with City Council members and helping to influence future policies. It really does help if you can say not only that you know your business but you have supporting credentials that back up the talk.

Certification has certainly been worth it for me and I look forward to "upping the bar" to the next level.

(Mrs.) D Mc
CA #RM-7117A