I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a close look and I bet you will see it did not sell. I will bet you a T bone from one of my steers I had to chase tonight.

Bill

I agree...A 4 feedback and the last thing they bid on was not even chainsaw related.

How greedy can you get??? I'm sure the saw was bought for next to nothing in one of those lots of junk saws. What a shame

As far a Australia goes that is a very very good price for a 7301.
However I have a guy in the US who will sell me Dolmar 7900's landed here for about AUD$850 mark so pointless for me buying saws like this locally. Anybody that buys saws locally (with the odd exception) either likes wasting money or are getting an excellent deal on certain saw models (for instance stihlman441 (Hi Andrew :cheers:) here gets some very handy deals on 660's etc from an obviously sharp dealer that you are hard pressed beating by importing - and the US 660's don't come with the dual port mufflers like ours or the high output oiler as standard).

I'll use the Stihl MS200T as an example again...

Out here you will pay no better than about AUD$1400 for one. I can land one here from the US for under AUD$700 (the current exchange rate helps MASSIVELY - I'll be doing dome serious importing while our dollar is so high). Now anybody that buys a 200T locally is an idiot considering you can land two here from the US for the Australian price. When Stihl Australia realises that customers have woken up to being ripped off maybe they'll realise they can't keep charging ridiculous prices on certain models (like the 200T) which are WAY out of line with their other pro models.

Hey MCW been toyin with the idea of a new 660. Whats the current US landed price. I kinda lost the theme in your thread? Are US not as good as Aussie ones, you say oilier and exhaust NQR. Are they cheaper to source US or OZ local now?

As for the Makita well I wouldnt know never touched one but a grand? hmm seems high for a blue saw.

Hey MCW been toyin with the idea of a new 660. Whats the current US landed price. I kinda lost the theme in your thread? Are US not as good as Aussie ones, you say oilier and exhaust NQR. Are they cheaper to source US or OZ local now?

As for the Makita well I wouldnt know never touched one but a grand? hmm seems high for a blue saw.

Basically mate you can land a new MS660 from the states here at the moment for probably around the AUD$1280.
However the minimum bar length they come with is 25" which won't fit in the same box so therefore the bar has to get posted seperately. Therefore to land the bar here adds about another AUD$40 (and it'll generally be 3/8" .050" which is fine by me as I use a lot of .050" chain).
Then the High Output oiler parts add around another AUD$80 (which you have to fit yourself) and to get a twin port muffler adds even more or to mod the single port yourself would be AUD$50 plus your time.

Therefore total cost to bring your US MS660 up to Aussie spec will come to around AUD$1450 where you can buy one is Oz for about AUD$100 more AND get a warranty. For only $100 I'll pay it to get a warranty. $200-300 I wouldn't :cheers:

By the way a grand for a 7301 is actually a very good deal. The best deal you'll currently find on a 7901 is around AUD$1200. Cheapest I've seen the 7901 was AUD$980 here but that was a while back now and probably a cut price introductory offer to get some market share from a certain online tool company.

Last edited:
Just for kicks I responded to her previous ad when she was located in Furlow, about eleven miles due south of Cabot where she currently, apparently be stayin'.

Thu, September 23, 2010 11:35:12 PMRE: Wood Cutter Needed - $1 (Furlow)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am unsure of what kind of wood splitter it is, but its one that u can put a whole section of wood in it and it splits it with no problems. I know it is one of the best for my stepfather bought it b4 he passed away and he only bought the best stuff n anything. The chainsaw is a stihl industrial and we have all types of wood out here. we live on 170 acres. It's just that since my stepfather passed and my brother moved to fayetteville and his wife had twin boys 2 weeks ago so he isnt able to leave even for a weekend to help us. Every guy I know who says they are going to do it still hasnt got a thing done except a whole lot of fishing on our property. There is my 85yr old grandma, my 61year old mother and me, and I can help you but if I help I get paid to out of what we make if I do help out. Otherwise you get half the wood cut and split and at 65+ a rick, u could make u sum money this year pretty quick. We already have quite a few trees that were taken down by storms this year and that are cured enuf to sell right away. There is pine, oak, pinoak, and well, I live right on wattansaw creek on 250 acres, so there has got to be a tree u like somewhere. Lol. If u decide u r interested

It sounds like to me a good chance to have a big fat GTG at somebody else's farm with plenty of wood to cut! Send the women to some far place after some excellant food and adult beverages and let the chips fly!
Igpoe:blob2:

Why is it so high?

Saws prices out here are ridiculously high and even though we are experiencing the dollar parity, they aren't adjusting the prices accordingly, but with that said it could be old stock at old costing. Also with Ebay, as we've seen previously, anything goes. Personally I wouldn't know what a Dolmar/Makita sells for locally, but if he is knocking a little of the shelf price it looks attractive.

Last edited:
Sigh!!!........carn you guy's, buy a Husky!...;)

Ya know Aussie1 I been thinkin that too I always been a stihl chap but reckon I could change even this late in life. Lets see which way I go.

Thanks MCW very help full luv a 660 so $1600 good hopin with our dollar going well may save me a buck. Huh, you run 050 grove n chain makes sense faster n cheaper but I never tried on a Stihl just on Shinnys as they come that way.
Bunnies going nuts over here gonna be a plague later this summer.

Ya know Aussie1 I been thinkin that too I always been a stihl chap but reckon I could change even this late in life. Lets see which way I go.

Thanks MCW very help full luv a 660 so $1600 good hopin with our dollar going well may save me a buck. Huh, you run 050 grove n chain makes sense faster n cheaper but I never tried on a Stihl just on Shinnys as they come that way.

You can't go wrong with any of the three (Husky, Stihl, Dolmar/Makita). If you had to factor in the oiler and the muffler for the Stihl it makes the Husky and the Dolmar a little more attractive as far as importing. My 395 was $1130 landed a couple of years ago with a 28" bar when the dollar was a little lower. Shelf price here is something like $2000.

Why is it so high?

You haven't seen Husky and Stihl prices here, have you ? :laugh:

Anyway,

much, much smaller market than the US (22million population vs over 300 million) so higher unit price to compensate for smaller volumes.
Higher sea freight cost as we are so far from Europe.
Higher internal freight costs than the US. (Fed. Gov. charges 38c/litre excise on fuel )
Much higher basic wages than the US.
Other overhead costs for the retailer can be higher due to smaller market/distance/etc.

Much higher margins charged by the importer.

Last edited:

Hey the main reason I run .050" 3/8" chain is because I got a heap of GB bars and GB/Carlton chain in this guage for a song. I use it because it was cheap :)
Bunnys nuts here too. Moved into my new house on 9.5 acres and we have rabbits everywhere (about 5.5 acres cleared and 4 acres of mallee scrub). Have had a few long shots at them with the Diana 350 Magnum air rifle but shot over their darn heads :( For an air rifle I still have trouble adjusting to how flat it shoots (my neighbour is a cop so don't want to whip the .22 out just yet)...
Like Al said mate, don't rule out the Huskys. If you're ever over this way by all means have a crack on my 390, I reckon you'll like it. I'm not even gonna let you touch the 3120 just in case that changes your mind about nicely balanced Huskys and you become a born again Stihl head vowing to never let a Husky foul your presence again :cheers:

You haven't seen Husky and Stihl prices here, have you ? :lol2:

Anyway,

much, much smaller market than the US (22million population vs over 300 million) so higher unit price to compensate for smaller volumes.
Higher sea freight cost as we are so far from Europe.
Higher internal freight costs than the US. (Fed. Gov. charges 38c/litre excise on fuel )
Much higher basic wages than the US.
Other overhead costs for the retailer can be higher due to smaller market/distance/etc.

Much higher margins charged by the importer.

And we have a winner on the main reason they are so dear in Australia. I can also gain access to genuine Stihl's (yes GENUINE - not rip offs) via a distributor in Asia and rest assured, it is not only the US who gets good deals on Stihl saws despite many beliefs.

Sad Ad

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/wan/2003148219.html
Who ever walked off with my XL2 chainsaw sitting on top of my stuck 4 wheeler Sunday and Monday please return it no questions asked.
If you don't no good will come to you, mark my words.
You can leave it in my driveway @ 212 Hillsdale Road (Rt 23) and your good fortune will return
Thank you Tom

Pretty sorry to go and swipe somebody's little ol' XL-12! :mad:
Hopefully someone will donate one to him, if that slimebag doesn't own up! Karma Baby!

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/wan/2003148219.html

Pretty sorry to go and swipe somebody's little ol' XL-12! :mad:
Hopefully someone will donate one to him, if that slimebag doesn't own up! Karma Baby!

My super xlao was dad's saw, brings back memories of him and myself cutting wood on Saturdays, me complaining about missing out on cartoons, whining about my back w/dad enlightening me that all I had was gristle coz I wasn't old enough to have a back, which infuriated me, and I'd have no problem shooting someone that I caught helping themselves to the ye olde family heirloom.

Even if I had to cold trail their their tweakin'/geekin'/stealin' sorry hide...

Back