I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought there might be a way to tailor them (maybe even fit them over the top of the boot?), & my wife is pretty handy with needle & thread. Per the ad the seller has quite a few pairs.

I don't know why you couldn't just cut them off and hem them like regular pants. Might have to move the bottom velcro strap, but that shouldn't be too big a deal. I'd take a pair, hemmed or not, if you decide to go get some. Right now all I have is chainsaw pants that are way too long. Chaps should be easier to hem than pants, I'd think.

I don't know why you couldn't just cut them off and hem them like regular pants. . . .. Chaps should be easier to hem than pants, I'd think.

The fibers of the pad inside the chaps is what provide the protection. They are typically not attached (or only loosely attached) to the outside fabric, and if you make any changes keep this in mind. I am sure that the manufacturer would say not to alter the chaps in any way, which is also easier if you don't need to.

The protective fibers may be made out of Kevlar or Spectra type material, which is very hard to cut with regular scissors, so be patient. The outside fabric is just heavy nylon or polyester, like the stuff used for backpacks, etc.

Philbert

The fibers of the pad inside the chaps is what provide the protection. They are typically not attached (or only loosely attached) to the outside fabric, and if you make any changes keep this in mind. I am sure that the manufacturer would say not to alter the chaps in any way, which is also easier if you don't need to.

The protective fibers may be made out of Kevlar or Spectra type material, which is very hard to cut with regular scissors, so be patient. The outside fabric is just heavy nylon or polyester, like the stuff used for backpacks, etc.

Philbert

Good point Philbert. Sounds like if you wanted to hem and shorten them you should sew the hem where you want it before cutting the end off, to anchor the fibers in place. For that matter, it might be better to just roll the extra under and hem it up against the backside. They would be shortened, without needing to be cut.

Anyway, I get what you are saying - I didn't really think it through.

245a actually...

Bill

Yep, 245. The Dayton 2Z463/Poulan 245 has been discussed quite a bit over the past week (Poulan sticky & Old Magnesium Swap Meet). I'd be interested in it as parts/back-up for my new-to-me 2Z463A. Nick, are you close to it?

EDIT---I have a VM from the guy with the chaps, need to call him back to ask a few questions about the quality (if they're 'minimal protection' chaps, I already a pair of those). I'm thinking about trying to arrange a meeting tomorrow.

Last edited:

245a actually...

Bill

Yep, 245. The Dayton 2Z463/Poulan 245 has been discussed quite a bit over the past week (Poulan sticky & Old Magnesium Swap Meet). I'd be interested in it as parts/back-up for my new-to-me 2Z463A. Nick, are you close to it?

That it is. I'd be interested in it too if the price was right.

Oregon chain with "27" on the drivers should be .404-.063G micro chisel chain..........NOT 1/2" pitch. The "30" that's on the cutters is the recommended depth gauge setting........and that also corresponds to .404 chain. My Oregon 1/2" chains are marked "40" for the depth gauge setting. Oregon 1/2" chain that I've seen has been marked "10", "10C", "10S", or "10L" on the drivers...

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...b433214c3dc41b3788256e23001876e8?OpenDocument

Last edited:

Thanks for the sharp eye and correction. I did not dig into it - was just reposting the link, because I know that a lot of guys would like to find 1/2 inch chain.

Caveat emptor!

Philbert

.404 / .063 chain is not all that uncommon. Even if it was 1/2", he'd have a hard time selling it at that price.

There are eBay sellers under $4/ft (incl shipping) for 1/2" chain that can't sell it.

Latest posts

Back