I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just going to cry over what looks like a brand new saw, for almost half price.
Anytime you see one (a craigslist ad) similar that has no local info and an out of area # it is good to assume it is a scam. You can also copy and paste the exact ad title, with craigslist if it is a scam you will see it elsewhere. Here is this specific one. There are also a few others that would qualify to be in this thread:).
http://www.google.com/search?client...Stihl+MS660+Magnum+Chainsaw&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Look for anything in the pictures or the description that would lead you to believe it's local. I'm in Mi and one of the dead giveaways is palm trees in the background lol. This being said some of the best deals I have gotten looked like scams but made reference to something local and I called. One of the best examples is a Honda Foreman that had links in the ad to see pictures, they took you to a website http://thecompleteshelter.com/ .
It looked like a ploy to get you to look at the website. It was summer (not the right time to sell them), also had local info, the # in the ad was very similar to the one on the website. If you go to that site you will see pictures and videos of the actual quad I bought (he kept the shelter). It also came with stock wheels & tires, a plow, the camo bags seen in the video, chairs, and the guy gave me $50 back for fuel:). I got a heck of a deal because it looked like spam.
Also they will have crazy prices like 729 or 782 for items. They are looking for someone who is not familiar with typical craigslist pricing like 725 or 775, they are the ones who will fall for a scam.
Some are using Local Google #'s in there scams. These are the more dangerous ones as they are working much harder to scam.
Happy Craigslisting guy's,
Brett

Best to meet @the local City or County law Enforcement Parking lot and give them a heads up...transactions involving cars/titles meet inside your Bank/Credit Union...and ALWAYS be strapped for bear! :rock:
I agree for those who are not as street smart. If you have no idea about who you are dealing with or the area you are going into I agree. I google phone #'s and addresses if I don't feel good about the situation. I always search there address and put it in my bookmarks /favorites. I can then pull it right up on my phones gps through google plus.
If things are not adding up that they are saying ask more questions, if they still don't sound right just skip it.
There is no need to waste your time or our law enforcemens when things don't seem right to begin with.
Sponsors here will give you good deals as it is, how much is 50-500 really worth to you. Just as certain people shouldn't have a tree service, there are many who shouldn't go it alone on a craigslist deal.
If you have any specific questions you would like answered on this feel free to pm me as I've done a few craigslist deals;).

I agree for those who are not as street smart. If you have no idea about who you are dealing with or the area you are going into I agree. I google phone #'s and addresses if I don't feel good about the situation. I always search there address and put it in my bookmarks /favorites. I can then pull it right up on my phones gps through google plus.
If things are not adding up that they are saying ask more questions, if they still don't sound right just skip it.
There is no need to waste your time or our law enforcemens when things don't seem right to begin with.
Sponsors here will give you good deals as it is, how much is 50-500 really worth to you. Just as certain people shouldn't have a tree service, there are many who shouldn't go it alone on a craigslist deal.
If you have any specific questions you would like answered on this feel free to pm me as I've done a few craigslist deals;).
I'm good...I take many of the same precautions when needed...just passing this info onto the less experienced.

Back