I think I am addicted to tree gear (and have CAD)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'll be serious when I get some more jobs under my belt and get some bills payed.

So you just got the golden gps stolen...now yer seriously considering spending another how much?? on a gun! Like thats gonna make up for getting the $800 dollar golden gps (LOL!) stolen! lol. now... what was that about the rent?? :(

Maybe you need a financial advisor too..

So you just got the golden gps stolen...now yer seriously considering spending another how much?? on a gun! Like thats gonna make up for getting the $800 dollar golden gps (LOL!) stolen! lol. now... what was that about the rent?? :(

Maybe you need a financial advisor too..

I pretty good with my money it's been a bad year, i had some unexpected things happen that cost me some buck. Didn't know you were keepin tabs on me. If i decide to hire a financial adviser i'll call you MDS.

i'm just a little noided out that some criminal has my **** and the address to my house on it.

A little late for this but I was told by a buddy to use the address of the local PD as home for programming.

Get a dog before the gun. Mine is always glad to see me even on bad days.

If you dont have a carrying permit it stays at home when your not there and can be the criminals too. Then you have a weapon out there with your name on it.

Dudes (and TreeCo),

I seriously think I am addicted to tree gear, ropes, and rigging. This stuff is just so cool. I am like a kid in the candy store at the local American Arborist. For some reason I really like ropes, 'biners, knots, and rigging. On top of that I have CAD (see chainsaw forum). Is there a cure for this?

(off topic) And WHY oh WHY does this site's spell checker NOT recognize the word "Arborist"? Or maybe it's the spell check on my mac (?)

Plas-
Lots of gear does not make you a arborist. At this point all you need is a saddle,rope,prusik/micropulley and a handsaw. All this other crap your buying is unnecessary. Your the guy who posted about using a deer stand for tree work. I don't think you should be doing much rigging anytime soon.

I feel the addiction, not getting much for work, but want more gear, books, info, and " tree time " as I can get. Froze my butt off in a tree today as a favor for friends father, but he's given me more firewood over the years, so I figure I owe it to him to take down the trees.

I understand the guy's addition for equipment.

I'd be embassed to list most the stuff I've bought to try over the years. Seems there is always something supposedly better out there to try.
My wife says they are not tools but toys.
But unlike labors, equipment never complains or calls in sick or wants to go home because it's cold or raining.
And I'm not sure how to get by with less than 10 saws.
I need a bucket truck not for the height as much as to carry my toys, oh I meant tools in the utility bed.

Plas-
Lots of gear does not make you a arborist. At this point all you need is a saddle,rope,prusik/micropulley and a handsaw. All this other crap your buying is unnecessary. Your the guy who posted about using a deer stand for tree work. I don't think you should be doing much rigging anytime soon.

Just repped ya good for that one. :)

Another saw for what? Take as much as I can with the 200, then go for the 460 and start taking bigger wood. :)

Holding wood is right, gotta have a big saw too. I used to run a 288 husky with a 24" bar, and keep a 36" bar and chain behind the seat of the chiptruck for big stuff here and there. When that blew up I got the 385xp, but that really didnt cut it with anything bigger than the 24" bar....so when a the 395xp showed up knocking on the shop door, well I couldnt resist. I only paid 450 for the 395 with a 36" bar and chain, thing was pretty much new too.

I guess times change. When Dad was in business he had 1 pair of Bashline Aluminium hooks,1 saddle, 1 safety belt, 1 skinnin line, 1 tag line and 2, 5/8 bull lines. 1 saw for up the tree, an XL12 on the ground, and a 1050 with 36" bar for big stuff. After a couple years he added a couple saws and bought rope in 600' rolls from New England Rope. He managed to put me through private school with that little bit of equipment. He also had an F600 dump, C30 12' stake, and an Asplundh 16 drum. That was when economic times were rockin. Now that Dad's gone and I'm retired, and times are tight, I have more saws, ropes, belts, junk in general than he ever had to make a very good living with, go figure, Joe.

I guess times change. When Dad was in business he had 1 pair of Bashline Aluminium hooks,1 saddle, 1 safety belt, 1 skinnin line, 1 tag line and 2, 5/8 bull lines. 1 saw for up the tree, an XL12 on the ground, and a 1050 with 36" bar for big stuff. After a couple years he added a couple saws and bought rope in 600' rolls from New England Rope. He managed to put me through private school with that little bit of equipment. He also had an F600 dump, C30 12' stake, and an Asplundh 16 drum. That was when economic times were rockin. Now that Dad's gone and I'm retired, and times are tight, I have more saws, ropes, belts, junk in general than he ever had to make a very good living with, go figure, Joe.

Times dont really change that much, tree is still just a tree. :cheers:

Plas-

What we have here...is a master of the obvious. (to the tune of the famous "what we have here is a failure to communicate")

I do not climb for fun, I climb for cash. I use a rope (safety blue), a saddle , steel core lanyard , figure 8 , bashlin spurs and a few biners. There are a few blocks and plenty of retired climbing lines and bull rope for rigging but it is all very simple stuff. I mainly do takedowns and have climbed with guys that have the sack of gear and all the fancy knots and systems. It frustrates me watching these guys work, seems that they spend more time adjusting and resetting than cutting. I have the wespur catalog and sherrill catalog next to my reading chair,you know the hard white one, and I dream and study on these things while I am there. seems that all the gear is for the recreational climber and not the production cash driven climber. The less pieces in a system the less chance of a failure.​

Latest posts

Back