I think I will shut off the gas and drain the boiler now....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this guy says this...

"My duplex is 800 square feet and with my Portable Furnace my gas bill was never over $20.00 a month." L. Presley, Overland Park Kansas

power bill ????

Yah, I have seen ads for that one. It has light bulbs for heating. You would be better off with an efficient electric ceramic heater. I had old style baseboard heaters in an apartment once when I was living in in CA. Cost a fortune to heat with them. So I bought a pair of ceranic heaters with built in timers, and ran them. I saved maybe $40 a month, and cut the electric bill in half. At the time, $80 for heating was a lot. The ceramic heaters cost maybe $25 each. Paid for themselves in a little over a month!

I am just wondering if this will be the next fad???
I was almost killed by a kerosene heater when I was 5 after it ate all the good air out of the room and I woke up with my dog puking on my face ....
we stumbled to the door and was saved by me being so out of it I went outside instead of into my parents room.
that dog Mugsy saved my life .
still have that heater .
never used it since..
shayne

Next fad? No. More like an old 1950s fad. Infrared lamps. No smoke, but lots of mirrors. Electric boilers generally have about a 100% efficiency rating. In other words, there is no more heat energy to get out of them. The gimmik here is what they are comparing them to. Old gas and baseboard heaters. Meaning that thay are better than the stuff that should be replaced anyway.

If you want some magic energy from electricity, get a heat pump. Depends on where you live though; the colder you are the less energy you can get out of a heat pump.

portable furnace

We in fact have 2 of the exact same type heaters they are the same principle just the ones Paul Harvey endorses(Eden Pure). Ive heard alot about them and also heard some pretty unbelievable claims of 50% off your heating bills. We recieved one as a early Christmas present the other is for another family member that told us to open it and run it if needed as they weren't going to really need it too soon because they are in Florida. We are now running both of them one in our dining room one in the living room. I can say that I don't have to run our ventless heater on the wall in the living room but its not a free energy magical device and I would suspect if you are used to burning wood in a stove for heating you are probrobly going to be disappointed as they put out heat but its not like you'd expect it is in fact a space heater. Ours are rated at 1000sq. ft. each and our living room is 20x20 with 8ft. ceilings dining room is 10x20 (approx) they are running full force all the time they do work and would be great for power failures but like I said not magical. All this said it has been cold and we don't have the ultimate in insulation and of course the always makes a difference.

this guy says this...

"My duplex is 800 square feet and with my Portable Furnace my gas bill was never over $20.00 a month." L. Presley, Overland Park Kansas

power bill ????

lol..800 square feet isn't much. i wish that was all i had to heat.

"would be great for power failures"

How would that work??

This is snake oil. Electric heat is electric heat period. As mentioned the only way to gain efficiency is with a heat pump.

:popcorn:

"would be great for power failures"

How would that work??

This is snake oil. Electric heat is electric heat period. As mentioned the only way to gain efficiency is with a heat pump.

:popcorn:

this brings me back to the old saying...if it sounds too good to be true.......its probably crap. Well at least thats how I say it....more or less.

this post is rated pg13

infared heater

I personally hate all the "snake oil" scams from some "new" technology to all the health food stuff that makes claims that could actually hurt someone that has a real illness!! I was skeptical when I read in the directions about the "special" copper alloy that is in the heat exchanger of the infared heater and how it was discovered by accident when a sheet of copper was left on a woodburning stove which changed its properties to conduct heat much better than regular copper. Last time I check copper has always been a good conductor of heat it would'nt matter if you heated it with propane or infared lamps of course its going to heat up then run air through it and you have a heater now add a thermostat a couple safety controls and a nice oak covering and you have the next "fad" heater!! I'm sure they are selling like hotcakes and I have no doubt its pretty safe and it may be cheaper to operate than gas RIGHT NOW!! I look at it as a very expensive heater than may come in handy in case of power outage and is safer to operate inside than a Kesosine heater but that it! It is not the cure for dependance on oil or magical. After lots of research on the heat subject and alot of it on this site I really think that wood is the way to go especially if your physically able and willing to put in the work and its something that is supposed to be carbon neutral which I guess no one can complain about!! Seems people over time have done things a certain way for a reason mostly because they are proven to work. I must admit I am a gadget guy but after falling for a few gimmicks when I was younger I appreciate simplicity and having 1 really good tool instead of 1 than does lots of other job really lousey!! Again if you take this heater for what it is it does heat and if you have a tight home then it may make a difference in your bill just remember that electricity is not free either but wood could be. Hope this all helps.

Power Outage

Didn't see the reply on how it would work in a power outage. We'll for us we would hook it up to generator and run the heaters off that we do not have a hook up for the generator to our circuit breaker so thats the only way we can do it for now it worked last year we didn't have power for 3 days and we managed to keep our pipes from freezing. Eventually I will get a electrician to install a hookup but for now theirs already lots of stuff to fix that takes priority in the summer months. Thanks

Back