I want one!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant watch the video, flash player needs upgrading. But if its the one I'm picturing it was built to work in the muskeg. Low impact on the ground so it wont sink. As far as I know Timberjack only ever built one due to cost.

Um, who crapped in your corn flakes, and yes that would be the plan...

Um, nobody...that I know of. It's just that every time I see a machine like that I can't help but think of the men it replaced.

I recognize the fact that from an environmental standpoint the new machinery makes sense. I also agree that from a purely dollars and cents angle that, in small timber and on gentle ground, they're the way to go.

It's progress and progress is important. It's also necessary. No argument from me.

I've made my living in the woods for many years and I've watched good men being squeezed out of this business because of new machinery and new methods of using it. That's also progress and it's to be expected. I have to accept that.

But...I don't have to like it. And I don't have to keep quiet about it, either.

My remark to you was pretty much the same as you would have heard from any group of real loggers watching a machine like that...and seeing the future...and not liking it very much.

So...if people growl at you as they watch you do your part to kill off a way of life that's probably the only thing they know and care about doing you'll just have to deal with it. Or not. Your choice entirely.

Fer crisakes buddy, give it a break, do you really think I could afford it in the first place? Next time I'll be sure to post a tongue in cheek, to indicate, it's just that... and While I'm at it, there isn't an industry where there isn't displacement due to technological change, so logging is not unique, and furthermore it's been going on since time began, albeit at a much faster rate in this age.

And, no you don't have to like it

Um, nobody...that I know of. It's just that every time I see a machine like that I can't help but think of the men it replaced.

I recognize the fact that from an environmental standpoint the new machinery makes sense. I also agree that from a purely dollars and cents angle that, in small timber and on gentle ground, they're the way to go.

It's progress and progress is important. It's also necessary. No argument from me.

I've made my living in the woods for many years and I've watched good men being squeezed out of this business because of new machinery and new methods of using it. That's also progress and it's to be expected. I have to accept that.

But...I don't have to like it. And I don't have to keep quiet about it, either.

My remark to you was pretty much the same as you would have heard from any group of real loggers watching a machine like that...and seeing the future...and not liking it very much.

So...if people growl at you as they watch you do your part to kill off a way of life that's probably the only thing they know and care about doing you'll just have to deal with it. Or not. Your choice entirely.

Last edited:
Fer crisakes buddy, give it a break, do you really think I could afford it in the first place? Next time I'll be sure to post a tongue in cheek, to indicate, it's just that... and While I'm at it, there isn't an industry where there isn't displacement due to technological change, so logging is not unique, and furthermore it's been going on since time began, albeit at a much faster rate in this age.

And, no you don't have to like it

Yeah!!! you old grouch don't blow a gasket Lol.
I hate bunchers too but in small eastern wood they are the way to go. We used to move a lot of tons and truck loads with a rubber tire hot saw and two big grapple skidders and a stroke delimber on a knuckle boom.
Lol nobody on the crew even knew how to sharpen a saw. I was the best at it and thought I was good at it, but had not even begun to know how to get a saw to cut right. Lol

Hey, who told you I'm an old grouch, I'm actually an old b'tard!

Seriously, it's the price of progress...

Gov't has approved two plans that will decimate our woodlands. First is aeriel spraying to kill hardwoods off, which is supposedly tied to the second. NS Power will start burning biomass to produce power. Bad plan for such a small Province.

Yeah!!! you old grouch don't blow a gasket Lol.
I hate bunchers too but in small eastern wood they are the way to go. We used to move a lot of tons and truck loads with a rubber tire hot saw and two big grapple skidders and a stroke delimber on a knuckle boom.
Lol nobody on the crew even knew how to sharpen a saw. I was the best at it and thought I was good at it, but had not even begun to know how to get a saw to cut right. Lol

That best is seeing a buncher that can't handle the wood and no one knows what to do. Grab an f'n chainsaw!

Back