I want to experience kickback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just watched a video of a guy getting his saw into a chain link fence. After watching it I agree that there will be no point to trying to create a kickback event. I doubt I could create anything that severe with just using wood and if I could I would not want to. No way to prepare for that other than just doing your best to avoid it.

Holy crap, that looked terrible. Hard to imagine he didn't sustain a serious injury from that. Watching the video though, it's pretty clear that what he's doing is not a good or safe idea. I guess it's like these guys are saying, learn the safe way to use saws, and don't do it the other ways.

Holy crap, that looked terrible. Hard to imagine he didn't sustain a serious injury from that. Watching the video though, it's pretty clear that what he's doing is not a good or safe idea. I guess it's like these guys are saying, learn the safe way to use saws, and don't do it the other ways.
Watch it again Ryan.
Did you see the bone sticking up on the top of his shoulder :surprised3:(that's what it looked like to me anyway).
I'm sure he had a hospital video and there's a reason the video was cut off there I would guess.

Watch it again Ryan.
Did you see the bone sticking up on the top of his shoulder :surprised3:(that's what it looked like to me anyway).
I'm sure he had a hospital video and there's a reason the video was cut off there I would guess.

I'll take your word for it Brett. I watched it twice earlier, and it got to that queasy nerve a little already. I didn't mean to say that I thought he had escaped injury, just the opposite, that it was hard to imagine that he couldn't have. It definitely made me think again about avoiding kickback. Not that I don't think about it already every time I run a saw, just that it's good to get occasional reminders to PAY ATTENTION!!

I would like to know how that guy ended up though. I don't personally want to watch frame by frame, but I'd be interested to know if the chain brake was activated, either by inertia or his left hand, and if so, whether he sustained a major laceration or just blunt force trauma from the bar getting launched into his arm. Plus, it'd be great to hear that the guy can still use his arm. Hopefully that's the case...

I'll take your word for it Brett. I watched it twice earlier, and it got to that queasy nerve a little already. I didn't mean to say that I thought he had escaped injury, just the opposite, that it was hard to imagine that he couldn't have. It definitely made me think again about avoiding kickback. Not that I don't think about it already every time I run a saw, just that it's good to get occasional reminders to PAY ATTENTION!!

I would like to know how that guy ended up though. I don't personally want to watch frame by frame, but I'd be interested to know if the chain brake was activated, either by inertia or his left hand, and if so, whether he sustained a major laceration or just blunt force trauma from the bar getting launched into his arm. Plus, it'd be great to hear that the guy can still use his arm. Hopefully that's the case...
I did a frame by frame for you buddy. Here's what I see, just into 4 seconds the lower side of his chain catches the fence, no problem it's not in the kickback zone, but when it happens it draws the saw into the fence catching the top of the chain in the kickback zone, whammmmm in the blink of an eye the bar/chain whacks him in the arm/top of shoulder, gal runs over and it appears the guy begins to pass out once he sees the damage, he never knew what hit him.
I'm unsure of what it is sticking out of her shirt, but the saw is a makita that most likely had a "low kickback" china special chain on it and came right from Home Depot rental.
The brake was most definitely was not activated as his hand was on the side of the handle.

I watched the first kickback video and knew to expect something bad and was nervous watching him cut that way. Then it happened and I thought serious injury occurred. I did a google search and typed in"diy renovation realities chainsaw" and watched a longer video and the guy pulled his shirt off right after and only had a cut on his colar bone. That missed his soft vulnerable neck by inches. I'm guessing that saw was a Home Depot rental saw with safety chain? I'm surprised they don't have those safety tip guards on them. Stay safe fellas.

I did a frame by frame for you buddy. Here's what I see, just into 4 seconds the lower side of his chain catches the fence, no problem it's not in the kickback zone, but when it happens it draws the saw into the fence catching the top of the chain in the kickback zone, whammmmm in the blink of an eye the bar/chain whacks him in the arm/top of shoulder, gal runs over and it appears the guy begins to pass out once he sees the damage, he never knew what hit him.
I'm unsure of what it is sticking out of her shirt, but the saw is a makita that most likely had a "low kickback" china special chain on it and came right from Home Depot rental.
The brake was most definitely was not activated as his hand was on the side of the handle.
You won't believe this.

It's ok to watch for those who's stomachs were queasy, you'll want to see it.
I watched the first kickback video and knew to expect something bad and was nervous watching him cut that way. Then it happened and I thought serious injury occurred. I did a google search and typed in"diy renovation realities chainsaw" and watched a longer video and the guy pulled his shirt off right after and only had a cut on his colar bone. That missed his soft vulnerable neck by inches. I'm guessing that saw was a Home Depot rental saw with safety chain? I'm surprised they don't have those safety tip guards on them. Stay safe fellas.
Had it in the que when you posted ;).
I did the same thing.

Running a saw and sure, you have the potential for kickback, however, trying to intentionally cause it is to me, imho, like wanting your buddy to shoot you so you know what it's like in case you were ever in a shoot to defend situation. Why take a chance doing something wrong, spend the time learning to do it safely. No matter what you do to induce the kickback, there are probably another 100 ways it can happen that you won't test.

Running a saw and sure, you have the potential for kickback, however, trying to intentionally cause it is to me, imho, like wanting your buddy to shoot you so you know what it's like in case you were ever in a shoot to defend situation. Why take a chance doing something wrong, spend the time learning to do it safely. No matter what you do to induce the kickback, there are probably another 100 ways it can happen that you won't test.
This will be the next gtg rage:laughing:

Your best way to avoid injury during kickback is to have the saw positioned that you can stop it once it happens. It has happened to me, and quite a few times. But I have always overpowered it because I do not cut in a position that I can not over power it. That guy in the video had no leverage or body weight to go against kick back. This is what other cutting devices are for, such as sawz-all, hand saw, even pole pruners...

It's foolish to try and purposely experience kickback. Don't do it.

Ever wondered what it feels like to be hit by a car? It hurts. No need to purposely try and go out and do it. Just take my word for it.

I've been hit twice. Once under 30 mph and once well over 30 mph. Walked away from one, and limped away badly from the other.

Back