I want to upgrade my Kohler CH730-0013. Need more power!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my Rayco 1625 Super Jr. has the 25hp engine that was de-rated to 23 HP and its starting to run poorly and I may need to change it. I have been looking for an expert on these engines to see if anyone can tell me if they have a bigger HP rated engine that has the same output shaft height, diameter and length etc.. so I can get more usable power while I am at it. Does anyone here know of a shop that sells engines that could put me together? I would like to change it over a weekend before it dies and I miss out on work during peak season.

Command PRO CH730s
Serial # 3302414581
Spec no. CH730-0013

Thanks

Thanks, I read that thread years ago.
It mentions the 27hp CH740-3002 as a direct swap I will PM MSgtBob66, It could be an option, but I am curious about a 30hp if possible.
If I could find an engine seller that really knows this stuff I would buy immediately. Kohler sucks really bad when you try to call them, all they do is bounce you back to the local hardware store that knows nothing but air filters.

Hoosier,
If I remember tonight, I will dig out the info on the internet based place that I got the engine from. If I remember, I think a 30 or 31 HP engine will have the same dimension. I remember there being a ton of info on the guys website. Otherwise, the Vermeer 252 uses the same engine, and I know there is a ton of info on this Arboristsite on swapping out and upgrading your Kohler.

Bob

Years ago I bought a used 16Hp and it performed very well. I still have it and yes I have had to work on it a bit. I love Kohler quality, but there are other sources for power. When my original Kohler started burning oil I replaced it with a Kabota diesel setup and much much more power. My opinion has been for the last 20 years is to replace with whatever is available. With your output shaft as a control point or are there other restrictions? If you replace your motor with an exact replacement it would run so much better than what you have because it would be new and not tired. Maybe work on more power and change the coupler to accommodate that. Thanks

Hoosier,

Check out OPEENGINES.COM. In 2012 I paid a total of $1923.00 for a 27 hp Kohler CH740S basic CH740-3002 without muffler.

Great people to work with, just changed eng to the ch1000-3000, hardened crank and other updates on
it over the ch980, had to shorten the shaft as eng is made for many applications, no big deal, it was an
easy swap, good advice from msgtbob66......

Bob....:barbecue:

Thanks guys, I called OPEENGINES.COM on Friday and they are working the problem and looking for a bigger engine that matches output shaft heights and size and will call me back this week. Stay tuned.

Check my post on repowering my 252 with a Kohler CH940 34hp....Google Tulsa Engine Warehouse. ( TEW)...$2300 shipped ..With muffler and controls!!! Best money I ever spent!!!

I found it, and I will check it out...thanks NC Grinder? I am ready to get at it.

The guy from OPEengine has not called me back. If anyone has a name of a decent rep there feel free to share because I dont want to call them back and get the same dude that wasted the last 6 days.

SO, I cant tell from the photos what you really had to do to make it fit? Was it just an engine plate adapter? Did you make it or buy it?

Hoosier : Made my own plate .. I used the original crankshaft axis as a centerline , so I could use the original 25hp clutch and Vermeer belts...Used 3/8 ' CR 1018 plate.. The CH940 base was a bit wider , so ,on the clutch side I used the original adjustment slots..but on the opposite sides I had to fab/weld on an extension plate for the adjustment slots...Just lay out everthing from the clutch side ,using the c/shaft axis as a centerline and the original adjustment slots...the rest falls into place.....Not a very difficult layout, but lotsa figgerin' ....made it all in my shop with a drill press... no fancy machine work...Not sure how you would do it on a Rayco ,but couldn't be that difficult..
Just be sure to order the new engine with the same c/shft dimensions as your original CH730..
Stan

Hoosier : BTW...If you Google Kohlers website and hunt around , you can get an engineering drawing of the CH940 base plate specs/measurements... do the same for the CH730 to see if they are any different...

Thanks. My biggest concern was altering the height of the crank shaft but the clutch and hydro drive mount to the engine itself, so you did not need to modify the side where the clutch mounts up eight? Welding and milling slots are no big deal if all I need to do is make a mount wider on the base.

The mounting pattern on the pto side is identical, so is the height of the shaft. Only the engine base is different. Instead of widening the slot I will try to use threaded inserts for fixing the self made mounting plate on the boom.

As Stan mentioned, kohler's technical drawings will give you insight.

Regards

Back