Ice fisherman like power also.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ice fishing done right is a great time, I've had many good times on frozen lakes.

You must not have ever hung one on a root. :eek:
Just rocks. Lots of big rocks which are no fun. Oh and an old galvanized water pipe once. That was with a 3 point hitch mounted digger. I'll leave running a gasoline powered huge screw with a handlebar to the "real men". I'd rather sit on my tractor with a beer :givebeer:

Just rocks. Lots of big rocks which are no fun. Oh and an old galvanized water pipe once. That was with a 3 point hitch mounted digger. I'll leave running a gasoline powered huge screw with a handlebar to the "real men". I'd rather sit on my tractor with a beer :givebeer:

I've hung on rocks too. Also seen a PTO powered auger lift the front end of a tractor off the ground so fast it was scary.

Ice fishing done right is a great time, I've had many good times on frozen lakes.

I've had some exciting times on Lake Erie on the ice. Some of y'all don't know what you're missing. At night, the ice sometimes makes all sorts of spooky Halloween noises, groaning and moaning, popping and cracking. Ice moves a bit on the great lakes as the temps change, sometimes huge cracks can form and one ice sheet will move up and over another one, like tectonic plates in the earth's crust. When that happens, it makes a big noise. If the wind comes up really good, the ice can start moving up and down on you. For the utmost in adventure, you'll be on a big chunk that breaks off and starts moving towards open water. Then you get a free ride in a coast guard helicopter. The downside is you loose all your gear and your shanty. Never been there or done the copter ride, but heard plenty of stories.

I fish fast and light,

When we lived in Northern WI those things were almost mandatory, there was 3 feet of ice!

Up there you could just drive your car/truck out on the lake, so no worries about carrying gear.

Back home here, most years you will never see a foot of ice (this year an exception)

Kinda like the lottery, you really only need one hole,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the right one!

Even with my affliction for all things 2 stroke, I don't have one?

You can bet those augers were ported piped and built for competition. Yes they have ice drilling contests, a pretty big deal up in the frozen tundra.

I need to get a power auger. I used a drill adaptor with my DeWalt for a while and it does great. But this year the ice is just too much for it.

Latest posts

Back