Ice, ice, ice....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I have finally gotten my phone service restored, and have stolen
or [borrowed] a generator.

"Well, I will have to order a new carb, it should be here in 2-3
days."
Yes, it needs a new carb, as the old one is hopelessly clogged,
which is why I am able to post here tonight, as the lean run
has the rpms going up and down, so if my post is pulsating like
my lights, you know that it is nothing supernatural, like a few
of my other posts. But to keep this post here, I will now use the
word "chainsaw"..
I have been kicking around the theory about ice dulling chain
worse than other media, and my tests have not concluded much,
as I have had no time to test this query. Does ice dull a chain faster than wet, frozen wood? Dirt? Steel? Woodtick dung?
I am mainly curious about the ice question, and since we have an inch or so covering the state, I may explore this tomorrow.
Since Brian deals with ice daily, he probably will have a good deal
of input.
After being offline for a few days, my e-mail is still down-loading
but I just wanted to say, I missed you guys, you complete me......
.......................................................................................................

I have cut lots of trees with melted fozen snow around them especially when bucking up in the yard. I haven't really noticed any ill-effects from it. You see all those guys carving things out of blocks of ice but I guess their chain could be quite dull. Who knows? Only one way to find out for sure an I imagine you will tomorrow. Later, Wade

Fish , we were down in the Hopkinsville area last weekend and left Sunday morn . bout 10:00 . Drove 4 hrs. on ice covered roads , seldom goin over 30 m.p.h . , what a mess , cars and trucks in the ditches everywhere . Don't you guys have plow trucks with salt ????? Saw some nice hardwood stands tho . By chance were we in your neck-o-the-woods ? Jon

we always cut ice inn the tanks or ponds so the cows could drink. & they would not walk on it. chain got dull. Not as bad as many trees.

Whistler, I've got family in the Hoptown area. Fish is on Beaver Lake over by Louisville. Where men are still men, and... you guessed it, llamas are afraid.

Here in Vegas we truck in ice from Alaskan glaciers and cut it up with chain saws for mixed drinks. Otherwise, ice is a foreign word in these parts.

Ice and Chain Saws

I used a saw all last winter and occasionally ran thru some ice with no ill effects, Also have used a chain saw to cut a hole in the ice on a lake so we could go diving a few winters ago. Bone chilling experience.

During our ice storm in December I cut nothing but ice covered trees, and I didnt notice any ill effects. What a pain to move what you cut though. Take a tree that is already saturated with water then add over a half of an inch of ice to it, and you really can understand how easily limbs can break. Not to mention the trees that broke early were frozen to the ground, which made things even more fun. All I can say is im glad we got mostly sleet out of this last storm, now if only the ground would dry up a little.

Fish,
They have this "synthetic" bar and chain oil that claims 50% longer intervals between chain sharpenings,even when using in ice................................ :)

Ya know , come to think of it , I used to use my chainsaw for cuttin holes in the ice before I got my power auger . Some of the local snowmobilers complained about the speed-bumps tho ... I used to 'taper in at the bottom', the 4 sided hole and if done properly , it would slowly pop up . State law says you can't make them bigger than 12". I remember the peculiar looks of people when they would see the ice cubes on the ice and wonder 'what the fork' that was all about ! Never tried Johnson wax . Jon

Fish's power must be down don't you think? Either that or he's in jail. We probably ought to start ragging him pretty hard. I know he would want it that way.

Once upon a time I was lost in the woods, and being very concerned about my survival, I started a fire to keep me warm, but I didnt have any matches. I simply used some curly fries from my saw for tinder, then I directed some sparks into it by leaning heavily into a frozen rock with my trusty 017, held right to the pin!
John

Since those days, I have become more adept at fire starting when I dont have matches, in fact just last week I was dieing for a cigarette, and not having any matches, I pulled the plug from my saw and grounded it against the jug with a gas soaked shirt sleeve wedged in there. Crank, crank,voila, instant bic lighter!
Humphrey Dumbroski

Latest posts

Back