Ich tried square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea...i could use a pic of what a hand filed square chain looks like too. because when i tried to file mine it didn't come out so well

attachment.php

so that is hand filed...wow i was way off..i was using a 3 corner file form baileys..im not sure that i was even using the file right!!

I may be wrong on it being hand filed--it could be machined. Just search for some of Gypo Logger's old posts--he's posted a lot of chain shots.

He said it was one of Art's chains. I assume he meant Martin. I should have linked the post instead of the picture.

Pictures can fool,but it looks to me like that has been ground with some fairly radical angles on the top and side edges. Maybe for some extra short term performance.

Working square would have more conservative angles which would cut almost as well, but have more metal behind the cutting edge.

No offense to Kips pic,but in the state it is in right now, that sucker would never cut.

The picture is small, but if you look at the RSLK chain on this Stihl link, you can get some rough idea of their stock angles. By default, my Pro sharp puts a degree or so more top angle on the top plate, and a bit sharper angle on the side cutter,as well as a small bit of hook. The way square can get a sharp side cutter is the primary advantage it has over round, IMO.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html

Last edited:
So Im halfway through filing this chain...

... and Im trying to figure out how to get this thing on a grinder to re-true all the teeth after Im done butchering it with a file.

That looks like a nice smooth edge! What kind of files do you use?
Of course it's hard to tell in a picture, but your angles look a little steeper than what I use. However I'm still trying to get that figured out. How do they hold up? Do you use them in hardwood?

Ich,
My photography isn't the best but here is the only pic that turned out half decent of a hand filed tooth.

Chain008cropped.jpg

Andy

Pretty tooth, but it looks like your down angle may be too shallow. That is an awful long cut on the tooth from the looks of the picture. Not an expert on square filing by any shot, but I just compared it to factory grind Stihl RSLK. Factory grind is much steeper by the looks of it.

Need an expert to chime in. Nice corner though, that is spot on.

Mark

Hey, I tried square ground today.

Well almost, I used a round filed chain and am converting it.
From what I have is it takes a couple fillings to get the chain to preform best.

I am using a chain for a 16" bar, First time out today I was cutting firewood on some hard dead oak. hmmmmm Ok
I am sure it kept up with my round chisel.

The chain how ever did dull out quick. I will try it again.

Back