ID a Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annie

Reaction score
I am brand new to this forum so please bear with me. Will you please help me in identifying a beautiful fruit tree that was CUT DOWN by mistake by a local tree service? I am devastated and hope to replace the tree. Here is what I can tell you: it was old, 30+ years, it grew in a protected sunny area on the east side of our garage; was 12+ feet tall with an unruly spread; very DARK BARK (appeared nearly black); had THORNS of 1-2 inches; produced incredibly sweet FRAGRANT cottony-white blossoms in May that were known throughout the neighborhood; it produced an abundance of smallish (like very, very large olives) fruit that never really ripened, but smelled like PLUMS and had almond-sized PITS--sometimes I would find numerous pits on the ground that were purple in color. An occasional fruit would ripen to a yellowish-red and would be plum-like inside. The leaves were about three inches long, and almond-shaped. Is it a variety of plum?

Also, can the pits be germinated (I hope that isn't too stupid a question to ask of you guys, the experts)? Thank you so much.

Latest posts

Back