ID this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a china berry or a huge rain tree but i could be wrong.Does it smell when you break it?

I dont know brother man. Its my aunt tree and the city has planted a many of them. I tin its a elm. Thou im unsre chinese or american. The pics are awful thou a C.A. can id.:deadhorse:

the trunk does resemble an elm. Look at the base of the leaf most elms exibit an inequilateral base. It also resembles a tree in the caraya family.
This could be an hickory or pecan, If so the leaf arrangement would be compound, but i cannot tell from the pic. Also, if it were in the caraya family it would be loaded with nuts this time of the year. Has anyone thought about a silverbell. We have them here in natural setting but never get to the size of this tree.

These tree are located in Douglasville Ga. Thou I am unsure where is is american or chinese i am sure it is not a hockory thou surprise I am at your findings upon the bark inspection. It is not nut berring but rather small berries. I will confirm these finding later this month. As wsell as follow up pics of dead city streeet trees, Chhers and thanks for the replys
I am surprise as well about the dispute about the common name. Nice link and climb safer.

Ok-ok-ok, Bottom line, we went way off topic and now this needs a new thread. I was just looking at all that weight in the truck and caught my eye. It is a siberian elm, not chinese. Lets just stop this before it looks like I am causing trouble.
Jeff Lovstrom

Some type of hickory.

Hickory was my first guessDo you have any china berries or golden rains that far north?If its a hickory should be nuts around there i would think?If its a china or rain it would get lil small yellow berrys that dissapear when they fall.

Also i believe both trees ive mentioned are either in the elm family or hickory family?Clarafacation would be lovely.Is there any databases to search leaves by picture?Kinda like fingerprints for csi?If not is there any way to maybe pioneer one?LIke wikepia?(or what ever that user encyclopedia site is)

Just my ramblin
-Nick

Japanese Zelcova

It reminds me of a Japenese Zelcova it's in the Elm family very close related to chinese elm also.But i could also be wrong

But i am positive that it's not a black walnut or a hickory:monkey:

treemonk said:
It reminds me of a Japenese Zelcova it's in the Elm family very close related to chinese elm also.But i could also be wrong

But i am positive that it's not a black walnut or a hickory:monkey:
Treemonk,
I agree - the bark keeps telling me elm. The leaves look like toothed alternate compound. The close up I sent didn't come out as clear as I had hoped but the seeds look like they are winged like an ash. My first guess was September Elm but I didn't think elms had winged seeds.

xtremetrees said:
What kinda tree is this?
it looks like a siberian elm not sure of hight maby september elm(ulmus serotina sarg):cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
buzz sawyer said:
Treemonk,
I agree - the bark keeps telling me elm. The leaves look like toothed alternate compound. The close up I sent didn't come out as clear as I had hoped but the seeds look like they are winged like an ash. My first guess was September Elm but I didn't think elms had winged seeds.

These words takes out the chance that this tree is elm because elms have simple leafs(Not compound) and the fruit is not winged. A picture of the fruit and twig and bud would help narow it dow.:cheers:

Back