ideal bar length for 262 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in my day, 028, 16"- 034, 16"- 044, 16"- 90 Johnsered 16", in my 30 yrs of logging, owning about 50 saws, i used nothing but a 16" bar. If i got in wood bigger then 24"s i had a couple 24" setups under the seat in the pickup. But remember i'm a Flatlander not a West Coaster.

18-20" just doesn't cut it out here.

This is 40"plus. Had to double cut the butt with a 36".

[video=youtube_share;r3RUi9xNgxI]http://youtu.be/r3RUi9xNgxI[/video]

Part of the West Coast syndrome...:yoyo:

West Coast syndrome? Maybe it is because there are real trees out here. I have a few cedars in my front yard that are 4' to 5' at the base, and they are just babies, only about 120 years old. There are sugar pines and firs in the canyons here that are 6' to 7' clear up to 80' high or better. These are small compared to the redwoods on the coast. The guys out here that log could not get by without long bars.

20"

Have always run a 20" on mine and never thought it was nose heavy but then again have always had a 20" on it. Run a 24" on a cs600p simply because its less to bend over bucking firewood. Considering grabbing a 24" for the 262 as well for the same reason .

My 262 came with a 20"

It works good, but I do want to buy an 18 for it and see how that works.

West Coast syndrome? Maybe it is because there are real trees out here. I have a few cedars in my front yard that are 4' to 5' at the base, and they are just babies, only about 120 years old. There are sugar pines and firs in the canyons here that are 6' to 7' clear up to 80' high or better. These are small compared to the redwoods on the coast. The guys out here that log could not get by without long bars.

It isn't the long bars themselves I am commenting on, but the fact that they are put on too small powerheads! :D

Oh man.....

i wish i could say it like that too :rock:

if i get a 262, i am the "moron who drags that pile of lead in the bush and he has that enormous 15" bar on that" :laugh:

Here, every saw, "bigger an heavier" than 346, is a massive, maybe too big and heavy, hard to handle, and every bar over 14" is plain stupidity :yoyo:

I envy you guys.

Thats why you need a 3120, so you can have the biggest baddest saw in your whole dern country! Just because!

thanks for the replies. I guess I'll probably stick to the 18 for now. I do have a 041AV with a 20.... It's probably less saw and more bar (power wise, not weight wise :), but it's fun to run and the 20 doesn't feel out of balance at all on it. I had an 029, then picked up the 041 and Cad to boot. I thought I really had a saw in that 041 compared to the 029.

Then I got the 262. You know the rest.

I have ran a 20 on mine since it was new. last year i stuck an 18 on it and will never go back.

Latest posts

Back