Identify my cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noble Zone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have what appears to be a Northern White Cedar about 20 feet tall. Or it was until recently. I'm told it isn't a Northern White Cedar but no one can tell me what it is. It has the shape, the spray, the trunk, the cones, the seeds, the characteristics of a Northern White Cedar. It's not an Atlantic White and it's not an ornamental arborvitae. Different seeds.
I'm told is can't be a Northern White Cedar because I live in Georgia. I've looked at other cedars in the area. Most are ornamental arborvitae or a variety of red cedar. No one has a tree like mine. I know this tree is over 50, because it was a giant Christmas Tree when I was a child, 50 years ago. It's probably closer to 100. Is there anything out there that looks identical to a Northern White Cedar that would grow in Zone 7? I would provide a picture, but all my pictures of it have it covered in snow, except the ones taken after it was butchered. You don't want to see that.

identify my tree

No. Not an atlantic white. They have those wax coated cones like the ornamental arborvitae. I've got ornamental arborvitae's in my backyard. This tree has a totally different cone. It is a very small, very tight cone; slightly yellowish when the size of a pin head and going from green to brown as the season progresses. The cones are in clusters and they are less than 1/4 inch long when full. I've looked at all the chamaecyparis's. Most of those have a straighter bark pattern. The bark pattern on this one looks a lot like a common red cedar except it's gray instead of brown.

Back