Identify this tree please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey experts, what is it?

And what would be a good reference book for the northeast, that has pictures, so I don't have to ask you guys like a dummy.:monkey:

hickory Most states' Ag service or Extension office have web sites with tree ID hope that helps

were the leaves from a lower branch, aka shade leaves?

bark looks like tupelo.

leaf is waaaaaaaaaaaaay difrint from sweetgumm :censored:

Any old hickory shells or acorns laying on the ground next to where the tree was? Based on the leaves, I would lean towards either hickory or shingle oak. The bark looks to rough to be a mockernut or bitternut, yet not shaggy like a shagbark, however there are other types of hickory I'm not familiar with and it depends what section of the tree that log came from. The bark looks more like an oak to me from maybe the top section or a limb but it's been a couple years since I cut one down, so I can't remember if they are dark in the center. Matter of fact I don't know if shingle oak is from the white or red oak family. I never come across Tupelo so I don't know what they look like and sweetgum...well, someone was getting a little sleepy last night.:D

This is my favorite section and question asked on arborsite. I like hearing the answers and trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
I think that TreeCo is right, it looks an awful lot like a Shingle Oak to me too.

Sorry, no better info. I think what you see is the main trunk of a small tree. It was part of a mixed load of firewood I got from a buddy who is clearing for his house. I found another piece, and took some more pics, but the heat here has the leaves pretty screwed up.

For scale, that is a kid's hand in the first pic. chunk is about 6" dia.

Last edited:
Thank's all for the responses.

I'm no expert, but I have seen enough oak to say it smells like, and is heavy enough to cast my vote for the shingle oak.

The photos don't show it, but the inside has flecks and rays that look like oak to me.

Next time I get a wild hair up my a$$, I'll try to take better photos for y'all.

There is a wealth of knowledge here, and I appreciate the opportunity to learn from you folks.

Thanks again. Jarret.:cheers:

Last edited:
Back