Identify this wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aspen would be a member of the populos genus making it a poplar. That's only if you want to go by the genus and stuff. Otherwise you could call it whatever you like.
Its pronounced 'popple' or it is in the logging community. Aspen, cottonwood, black/white poplar, willow are all in the same family.

Mike. I'm taking your advice your advice you kinda gave me the other day. I'm outta here. To the op I hope I helped you in some way.
Don't leave now. Things are getting interesting. I love the tree id threads.
To find out what it is, just bury a piece in the wet ground, if it sprouts it's cottonwood or willow.

Lol, damn guys, I certainly brought up a debate. And yeah, my bad, I posted it here and in the firewood forum bc tapatalk made it look like one didn't post. I told him free firewood is always a good thing. Haven't actually seen the wood myself. Where I cut, I get a lot of the various elms, oaks, and maples with the occasional shagbark hickory. In fact, a winter storm busted off the top of a nice hickory, soon as it dries out a touch, I'll be going after it. Thank for all the help gentlemen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coltont, Bitz, Treeslayer, holy ****, I just pulled half my hair out.
What is it with some people?
I might have cut 35,000 feet of poplar alone between Tuesday and Wednesday.
least I hope it was poplar.....

Some guys are just jackasses Joe. Gotta point em out! 35mbf in two days huh? I need a falling gig like yours. I have no idea what I'm capable of if I was laying out and topping all day.

Bitz it ain't hard in the right poplar stand. if they tall and fat and its a thick stand, its gravy. like you, i spend more time on a machine than falling........some body has to skid and load........my shadow is a lazy azz.

Could someone identify this wood for me? A buddy got some dropped off at his place and I can't seem to place it. Thanks!
looks like
Could someone identify this wood for me? A buddy got some dropped off at his place and I can't seem to place it. Thanks!
looks like balsam poplar if its light like cotton wood or quaking aspen

sassafras

Yes thats 'exactly'what it is from its latin name below we just call then cottonwood and don't get technical to what area after all we name it from the the white hairs in the spring.
BALSAM POPLAR
Populus balsamifera

BLACK COTTONWOOD
Populus balsamifera ssp trichocarpa

• the black cottonwood is a subspecies of the balsam poplar
  • also known as Balsam Cottonwood, Western Balsam Poplar, Tacamahec Poplar
  • the cottonwood is named for the seeds with the cottony hair that float through the air like summer snow
  • the balsam gets its name from the resin that has a sweet, balsam odour
When we say Balsam we are referring to Grand fir really.On the coast o
BALSAM POPLAR
Populus balsamifera

BLACK COTTONWOOD
Populus balsamifera ssp trichocarpa

• the black cottonwood is a subspecies of the balsam poplar
  • also known as Balsam Cottonwood, Western Balsam Poplar, Tacamahec Poplar
  • the cottonwood is named for the seeds with the cottony hair that float through the air like summer snow
  • the balsam gets its name from the resin that has a sweet, balsam odour
When we say Balsam we are referring to Grand fir (sortwood).On the coast it has the same bucking specs as Western
Hemlock so we group them together as hem-bal for overseas. If they are not 15' at 12metres 40 ft then it become fertilizer, back into the ground.

looks like balsam poplar if its light like cotton wood or quaking aspen[/QUOTE]

'Balsam poplar I'd agree but right?
Its all water...do those blocks look light
cut and picked enough up to know what I'm looking at there thats heavy wood from my standards of comparison anyway

Latest posts

Back