Idling saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullCry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In the heat of the summer could you idle a saw too long and cause it to seize up? FullCry

I've always been told that when using a chainsaw for milling, that after finishing a cut, instead of turning the saw off right away, you should let it idle for a minute, because idling helps it cool down and lubricate it.

Makes sense to me since the idle is normally set pretty rich.

In the heat of the summer could you idle a saw too long and cause it to seize up? FullCry

The saw will be fine. Been doing that for years & my saws are no worse for wear.
Gets pretty hot down here in Summer (up to just over 40 deg C) & I often cut in heat up to about the mid 30's. Besides the fact that it's a high fire risk over 35 deg C I would rather sit on the front deck with a cold beer than cut wood when it gets any hotter than that.

Thanks gentleman, I knew a four stroke would be ok but wasn't sure of a two stroke. The reason I asked is I have some saws I rarely use and I crank them up at least once a month and let them idle a lot and rev them some so I was concerned. Thanks again, FullCry

Latest posts

Back