IEL HC Reed Valve Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ML12

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I read on the site somewhere that someone had fixed a corroded 'reed valve' seat on an IEL HM or HC. I have recently started restoring an HC and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to disassemble/fix the reed valve assembly. It looks to be all one piece possibly riveted together. I need to replace the spring and clean off the corrosion from under the plastic 'reed'. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello. I'm restoring the same saw IEL Hc. On my reed valve the plastic valve has a piece broken off, the spring good, I'm going to repair it with some jb weld. I'm looking for a carb kit HL-8A ,I herd the RK-88HL would be a good replacement for that carb, is that correct. Andy

Hi Andy, that is correct a RK-88HL kit will work for that carburetor. I ended up cutting the old spring off, sliding the plastic disk up and cleaning off the corrosion. I then wound a new spring of similar tension onto the post. I would be a little bit hesitant to use JB weld in a place like that given the high mechanical stress from fluttering open and closed so quickly.

I hope it works out for you. Here is how mine ended up:
20160330_171519.jpg

20160330_171337.jpg

Hi Andy, that is correct a RK-88HL kit will work for that carburetor. I ended up cutting the old spring off, sliding the plastic disk up and cleaning off the corrosion. I then wound a new spring of similar tension onto the post. I would be a little bit hesitant to use JB weld in a place like that given the high mechanical stress from fluttering open and closed so quickly.

I hope it works out for you. Here is how mine ended up:
View attachment 583382

View attachment 583383

Hello ML12 thanks for the quick reply on the carb kit . Look at your pic,s nice job, hope my turns out that good,mine is green on the top of tank. For the reed valve ,to replace the plastic disk in would have to cut the rivet head ,and if you can even get one, small piece out of it ,going to try to patch it, I don't cut wood with my vintage saws,but I do like them to run,thanks andy

Andy, I definitely understand the desire to have running vintage saws. I have a few that have been restored, and will never see wood. I have also seen them with a green stripe on top, not sure why they came that way as opposed to red?

Latest posts

Back