If any members here have a flexible well poly pipe, you must have this tool.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkim13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this video is not adequate on this site, but the tool is very important for people who have a flexible poly drop pipe and need to replace the pump in an emergency situation.
A Couple weeks ago, suddenly no water from the kitchen and bath faucet.
It could be a nightmare with no watering in the house and all the garden for a while.
First, I thought the well pump failed because the pump is 16 years old.
Fortunately, I found the cause was a broken main water pipe from the well and it was repaired by myself right away
It would be really absurd if the cause of the well pump failed.
Then I had to wait several days for a well guy to replace the pump even calling an emergency.
I don't even want to think about that situation.
I was really concerned about it and ever since I was looking for some tool for pulling the well poly drop pipe that I could pull the pump and replace the pump by myself in an emergency situation,
This video will tell how it solved the problem.
If you have any better thoughts, please share them.
Thanks
Jkk

I know this video is not adequate on this site, but the tool is very important for people who have a flexible poly drop pipe and need to replace the pump in an emergency situation.
A Couple weeks ago, suddenly no water from the kitchen and bath faucet.
It could be a nightmare with no watering in the house and all the garden for a while.
First, I thought the well pump failed because the pump is 16 years old.
Fortunately, I found the cause was a broken main water pipe from the well and it was repaired by myself right away
It would be really absurd if the cause of the well pump failed.
Then I had to wait several days for a well guy to replace the pump even calling an emergency.
I don't even want to think about that situation.
I was really concerned about it and ever since I was looking for some tool for pulling the well poly drop pipe that I could pull the pump and replace the pump by myself in an emergency situation,
This video will tell how it solved the problem.
If you have any better thoughts, please share them.
Thanks
Jkk

That was some pretty good MacGyvering...

How deep is your well?
Mine is pretty shallow at 60-70 ft. It's easily pulled up by hand with an assistant. That would definitely be handy in other parts of the country where you have to go a few hundred feet down to find the water table.
I had a situation where the pump kept tripping the breaker. Turns out one of the plastic impellers in the stack had broken due to debris passing through a compromised screen and jammed the pump. Since there are several impellers in the stack (the deeper the well, the more stack required for lift), I simply removed the broken impeller, cleaned everything up, replaced the screen with ss mesh and reassembled. That was 4 years ago. Any difference in volume from one less impeller is negated with a properly sized and functioning bladder tank.

How deep is your well?
Mine is pretty shallow at 60-70 ft. It's easily pulled up by hand with an assistant. That would definitely be handy in other parts of the country where you have to go a few hundred feet down to find the water table.
I had a situation where the pump kept tripping the breaker. Turns out one of the plastic impellers in the stack had broken due to debris passing through a compromised screen and jammed the pump. Since there are several impellers in the stack (the deeper the well, the more stack required for lift), I simply removed the broken impeller, cleaned everything up, replaced the screen with ss mesh and reassembled. That was 4 years ago. Any difference in volume from one less impeller is negated with a properly sized and functioning bladder tank.
My well is 320ft deep and 120ft drops the pump.

So about 40 lb. for the pump + 120ft 1-1/4 poly pipe with full water will be more than 250lb I guess.

By the way, do you have any info for the SS mesh screen that you replaced ?

My used pump that I bought from a local pump guy has a plastic pump screen that I am concerned about.

Thanks.
Jkk
screen.jpg

My well is 320ft deep and 120ft drops the pump.

So about 40 lb. for the pump + 120ft 1-1/4 poly pipe with full water will be more than 250lb I guess.

Thanks.
Jkk

It would be interesting if you could reduce the water weight by dropping a compressed air line down the poly pipe and blow that water out of there. It would probably knock off 150 lbs or more.

That is the same set up as mine and where mine was damaged allowing material to get in and jam the impeller. I had some mesh laying around that I used. But you can buy small pieces online. I've even seen stuff on Amazon. Just try and keep the screen size comparable to the original screen. I think a little smaller wouldn't hurt but too much bigger could maybe allow debris to pass through and jam the pump like it did with mine.

That is the same set up as mine and where mine was damaged allowing material to get in and jam the impeller. I had some mesh laying around that I used. But you can buy small pieces online. I've even seen stuff on Amazon. Just try and keep the screen size comparable to the original screen. I think a little smaller wouldn't hurt but too much bigger could maybe allow debris to pass through and jam the pump like it did with mine.
Yes,, Amazon has everything and is sooo cheap.🤣🤣🤣
I bought 20 mesh SS which is good enough to screen the debris.
Thank for the information
Jkk
e.jpg

It would be interesting if you could reduce the water weight by dropping a compressed air line down the poly pipe and blow that water out of there. It would probably knock off 150 lbs or more.
I have 2 tractors and a backhoe for pulling the pump easily as long as I have that tool.😉😉😉
That is the reason I made it.😊😊😊
Jkk

I have 2 tractors and a backhoe for pulling the pump easily as long as I have that tool.😉😉😉
That is the reason I made it.😊😊😊
Jkk

I like that tool.

I'm just thinking what I'd do if faced with the same problem.

My submerged water pump is only 42 ft. down and I pull it by hand and it's a slippery load.

Does the wiring present any problems when pulling up poly?

Mine was attached to the poly. It's been 15 years since I've pulled it.

I wired in a plug just inside the well casing so that it can easily be disconnected when the pump needs pulled.
As to the water, 1-1/4 pipe holds .06 gallons per foot, 50ft of pipe holds only 3 gallons.

I have two neighbors that have built these.

In both cases, the neighbors used the front wheel off of a lawnmower, with the tire removed.
The wheel is easily designed for the amount of weight of even a 400 foot deep well,,
and the larger diameter rolls really easily.

I did a weld repair to one of them, but, that was a LONG time ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so, I barely remember it.

The MAIN REASON I do not build one is the special handle/tool that is needed to grab the end of the pipe down in the well.
I would have to borrow that, anyways, so I would just borrow the pipe roller also.

I haven't looked that hard, but, I would of thought the video would show them making a pipe grabber,, also,,,,,,,,,,,, :confused:

I have two neighbors that have built these.

In both cases, the neighbors used the front wheel off of a lawnmower, with the tire removed.
The wheel is easily designed for the amount of weight of even a 400 foot deep well,,
and the larger diameter rolls really easily.

I did a weld repair to one of them, but, that was a LONG time ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so, I barely remember it.

The MAIN REASON I do not build one is the special handle/tool that is needed to grab the end of the pipe down in the well.
I would have to borrow that, anyways, so I would just borrow the pipe roller also.

I haven't looked that hard, but, I would of thought the video would show them making a pipe grabber,, also,,,,,,,,,,,, :confused:
the weld on adaptor has a male pipe thread spigot on it's top, thread on a piece of pipe with a coupling lift move sideways so it's free of the casing and pull it up.
for pumps on iron pipe a pump jack is handy. I had the installer replace my pump and galvanized pipe just because (it was 50 years old and down 300', trust me; that pipe owed me NOTHING.

the weld on adaptor has a male pipe thread spigot on it's top, thread on a piece of pipe with a coupling lift move sideways so it's free of the casing and pull it up.
for pumps on iron pipe a pump jack is handy. I had the installer replace my pump and galvanized pipe just because (it was 50 years old and down 300', trust me; that pipe owed me NOTHING.
Probably, you are talking about this pipe puller adapter.( I don't know what exactly the name is)
I am going to make it. that will be a much easier grab.
Jkk
pipe.jpg

Probably, you are talking about this pipe puller adapter.( I don't know what exactly the name is)
I am going to make it. that will be a much easier grab.
Jkk
View attachment 977433
Y'all must be a southern boy, our water pipe goes out through the casing 6 feet below ground through a "weld on pitless adaptor". the top fitting does not connect to water it's just to thread in a piece of pipe to pull it up out of the casing.
Theres a tapered slot with an Oring, the pipe with adaptor, slides down in and makes a water proof seal. You don't need a 6' deep well pit.
1648648513268.png

Just a heads up about protecting your electric tools when welding or grinding.
I noticed in the video when the guy was welding a electric tool laying close by. (appears to be a hand drill and welding slag sparks landing on the tool.

I've seen several times electric tools ruined by hot slag spark hitting on a tool going through the open air cooling slots.
Usually a guy will later go to use the drill, grinder, etc and it starts smoking or tripping a breaker due to shorted armature or motor windings. He does not even realize why it all at once fails.
I've also seen metal grinders throw hot metal pieces into a close by other electric tool and ruin them.

Before I start welding or grinding I make sure none of my other electric tools are nearby.

Y'all must be a southern boy, our water pipe goes out through the casing 6 feet below ground through a "weld on pitless adaptor". the top fitting does not connect to water it's just to thread in a piece of pipe to pull it up out of the casing.
Theres a tapered slot with an Oring, the pipe with adaptor, slides down in and makes a water proof seal. You don't need a 6' deep well pit.
View attachment 977438
That's what my pipe is for. Rope tied to the eye welded on top. Thread the pipe into the pitiless adapter and pull up. The rope is a safety in case it gets away from me.

Just a heads up about protecting your electric tools when welding or grinding.
I noticed in the video when the guy was welding a electric tool laying close by. (appears to be a hand drill and welding slag sparks landing on the tool.

I've seen several times electric tools ruined by hot slag spark hitting on a tool going through the open air cooling slots.
Usually a guy will later go to use the drill, grinder, etc and it starts smoking or tripping a breaker due to shorted armature or motor windings. He does not even realize why it all at once fails.
I've also seen metal grinders throw hot metal pieces into a close by other electric tool and ruin them.

Before I start welding or grinding I make sure none of my other electric tools are nearby.
That is a good suggestion..
Thank you for the tip..
Jkk

View attachment 977438
I Just made that adapter right away from the recycled pipe and ring.
jkk

pulling adapter.jpg

Back