If snakes belonged in trees....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FBerkel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know you guys in the Carolinas are probably used to this, but I hope I never see a snake in a c-wood hollow again.

Fred, we were pruning a Sycamore a few weeks ago. Big Steve dropped a 6"x6' piece of hollow deadwood from about 40 feet up. When it hit the sidewalk, it shattered and inside was a twisted up snake skin. It was tied in a knot (some snakes tie themselves in a knot to help remove the old layer of skin) and all bunched up. We layed it all out and it was well over 5 feet long. It was about 2.5" fat at the middle.

We pondered on how the skin got up there. I said the snake climbed the tree when the tree was 2' tall, and it's still up there!

I hope I don't have to climb that tree ever!

love
nick

When I was in Costa Rica last summer I was canoeing around some jungle tributaries and saw a huge boa constrictor hanging out in a branch about 3ft above the water. I don't know how long he was cause he was all coiled around the branch, but he was a good 4" in diameter. Really cool!

They have another snake down there called the terciopelo, or eyelash viper. It's neon yellow with long eyelashes and hangs out in trees. Apparently the bite will kill you in about 5 minutes and is iincredibly painful. fortunately i never ran into one of them!

the only snake in Hawaii is blind, looks like a worm, and hides in the dirt...not so interesting.

This one was living up in a 45% leaner's hollow, eating birds as they ventured in. It may well have been there for years.

Man, I'm glad I'm in New England.... yikes

Never had a snake in a tree; had my chare of racoons, squirrels, bees, bats, cats,

and one long-haired ganja-tokin hippie.

What's standard procedure for removing hippies from trees? Do you just cut em down, or do you rig em out? :D

Latest posts

Back