I'm an idiot!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihly dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here it is the 22nd of may, 50 all day, house at 60. Time to lite a fire. I get a nice fire going and am waiting for the auto damper to open on the furnace. It's taking forever, so I look at the control which is blank. Oh oh, must be a tripped breaker, nope. Pull out the multi meter and check for 24 volts, nope. Must be a blown transformer, nope no incoming voltage. Check for volts out of the breaker panel, yep. Now here is where I am a moron. I shamefully am an hvac tech, installed and wired the unit myself. After pulling all the wires to see if something came disconnected, or chewed, I found the junction box of the old boiler in the ceiling that I was using for power. 3 connections in there. Power in, no power out, what the heck is breaking the power I think to myself. Giant head slap, boiler switch up stairs has to be off. Yep.
Can't believe I left that tied in and didn't think of it. What an idiot.

A couple of weeks ago my car died, can't hear the fuel pump...So tear the gas tank out
break a connector on the line, break a bolt clip not to mention I had to do it in the
backyard because my friends shop was full. I had to cut a strap on the tank to fix the
bolt clip and weld the strap back together.
It turned out to be a broken wire from the computer to the relay...If I had checked
for power first it would have saved me a few hours of aggravation.

Just letting you know you're not alone.

Here it is the 22nd of may, 50 all day, house at 60. Time to lite a fire. I get a nice fire going and am waiting for the auto damper to open on the furnace. It's taking forever, so I look at the control which is blank. Oh oh, must be a tripped breaker, nope. Pull out the multi meter and check for 24 volts, nope. Must be a blown transformer, nope no incoming voltage. Check for volts out of the breaker panel, yep. Now here is where I am a moron. I shamefully am an hvac tech, installed and wired the unit myself. After pulling all the wires to see if something came disconnected, or chewed, I found the junction box of the old boiler in the ceiling that I was using for power. 3 connections in there. Power in, no power out, what the heck is breaking the power I think to myself. Giant head slap, boiler switch up stairs has to be off. Yep.
Can't believe I left that tied in and didn't think of it. What an idiot.

At least you didn't have to spend money to have someone tell you that. LOL. It happens.. To you:laugh: and me too.

A couple of weeks ago my car died, can't hear the fuel pump...So tear the gas tank out
break a connector on the line, break a bolt clip not to mention I had to do it in the
backyard because my friends shop was full. I had to cut a strap on the tank to fix the
bolt clip and weld the strap back together.
It turned out to be a broken wire from the computer to the relay...If I had checked
for power first it would have saved me a few hours of aggravation.

Just letting you know you're not alone.

Passed out some Idiot rep to those that I could hit!!! :msp_w00t:

We all do stupid things sometimes.

Don't feel bad. I had a shotgun that just wouldn't shoot. Trigger jammed tight as could be. Couldn't budge it. Took it apart to figure out what was going on and realized I had the safety on. At least it was skeet not an armed intruder I was trying to shoot.

Very late at night, tearing apart a 305 cu. in. chebby. Couple of LONG days previous had me just wanting to get it torn down so I could get to bed. Couldn't get one head off. Figured that I could with a crow bar. I could and did. As soon as it "popped" I knew I screwed up somewhere.

The one bolt that was still holding it to the block stayed in the block, along with part of the head.........

No worries, I've had countless customer's complain of their a/c not working only find the button not even pushed in.

Another one: "My headlight don't work! This is a new car and I cannot believe they don't work! I got in a fender bender on the way home last night because of this!" So you get in the vehicle and see the headlight switch in the off position.. Interesting concept, having to actually turn on your own headlights... How inconvenient.

Latest posts

Back