I'm floored!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Setting up for the season firewood cutting. Tired of all Willow so I decided to try for a a couple trees in an old homestead. It is about 5-6 acre patch, square, sticking out into a farmer's field. Three good sized locust on one corner. Been eyeballing it over the years but never got up the nerve to ask.

Tonight I did the deed, had my talking points all lined up, started to point out that removing those three would eliminate a square corner and gain him a couple acres of farmground. Didn't even get half way when he said, "Sure, cut anything you want out of there":jawdrop:

Mostly open ground with an assortment of trees including at least an acre of wild plum. That stuff should make firewood even though it is small gauge. It has been years since I was by. Will be going over tomorrow to eyeball, access, evaluate just what is there and just 'dream' - topper is it is on 3 miles at most from the house. Will shoot some pics too.

Harry K

favors

Setting up for the season firewood cutting. Tired of all Willow so I decided to try for a a couple trees in an old homestead. It is about 5-6 acre patch, square, sticking out into a farmer's field. Three good sized locust on one corner. Been eyeballing it over the years but never got up the nerve to ask.

Tonight I did the deed, had my talking points all lined up, started to point out that removing those three would eliminate a square corner and gain him a couple acres of farmground. Didn't even get half way when he said, "Sure, cut anything you want out of there":jawdrop:

Mostly open ground with an assortment of trees including at least an acre of wild plum. That stuff should make firewood even though it is small gauge. It has been years since I was by. Will be going over tomorrow to eyeball, access, evaluate just what is there and just 'dream' - topper is it is on 3 miles at most from the house. Will shoot some pics too.

Harry K
Harry,. do your self a favor and clean every thing up,...Junk, and otherwise, when they see the fields open up u will be, there best friend, ,,I know, Trust me,...Eric,..

What cabinman said. Clean up after yourself and get all of the limbs that you don't want in piles ready to burn. But don't burn on your own. You don't need that kind of liability. Don't leave anything out on the fields that the farmer will have to clean up. Might lead to more wood further down the road for you.

Good score and happy cutting.

Ask and ye shall recieve. If you are going to have help cutting make sure its alright with the farmer first. Have had a person ask to go hunting and bring half a dozen friends with them. Just remeber to treat the place as if it were your own and good luck with your cutting.

+3 on the above comments, treat the property well, you may get offered more wood to cut than you can ever burn, sounds a lot like a couple of deals I've come across.

Right on with the cleanup. Been doing it for over 30 years now and never leave a mess. Got quite a few references lined up but no-one has ever asked for one. Usually do all my burning solo but always after there is a good snow cover on the ground.

Was out today for it. It lies on a dirt road that was more mud today. It looked dry until I crawled out of the car and found out it was good old slicky, sticky Palouse gumbo. Eyeballed the wifes almost new car sitting there on the flat spot wondering what getting back out the 1/4 mile to pavement would be like. Made it no problem after the scouting.

Here is the good locust corner:

002-1.jpg

From the opposite end of the patch:

001-5.jpg

The trees from the first photo are in the background sticking up over that brush patch. I don't know what species the tree on the right is, Poplar, cottonwood or the like. The one on the left looks to be a good sized locust but the top isn't raggedy enough for that. Can't get it anyhow as it hangs over the power line on that pole....
hmm...back in 93? we had a blow down around here in a narrow swath. I got about 10 cord locust out of that and one huge tree was similar, i.e., next to a pole. Called the power company and they fell it (hit the anchor too!) after I loaned them my saw. His was the worst rocked out chain I ever saw. May try that again as that pole is the last in the line leading to that abandoned farmstead. they just might remove the line for me.

Patch not as big as I remembered. guessing it about 3 acre now. Fewer trees than I recalled but there are a 4 or 5 more locusts hiding out in that patch of brush.

Gonna be quite a technical job working access to unless I wait until after harvest.

Will keep me amused anyhow and result in at least 3 cord.

Harry K

Right on with the cleanup. Been doing it for over 30 years now and never leave a mess. Got quite a few references lined up but no-one has ever asked for one. Usually do all my burning solo but always after there is a good snow cover on the ground.

Was out today for it. It lies on a dirt road that was more mud today. It looked dry until I crawled out of the car and found out it was good old slicky, sticky Palouse gumbo. Eyeballed the wifes almost new car sitting there on the flat spot wondering what getting back out the 1/4 mile to pavement would be like. Made it no problem after the scouting.

Here is the good locust corner:

002-1.jpg

From the opposite end of the patch:

001-5.jpg

The trees from the first photo are in the background sticking up over that brush patch. I don't know what species the tree on the right is, Poplar, cottonwood or the like. The one on the left looks to be a good sized locust but the top isn't raggedy enough for that. Can't get it anyhow as it hangs over the power line on that pole....
hmm...back in 93? we had a blow down around here in a narrow swath. I got about 10 cord locust out of that and one huge tree was similar, i.e., next to a pole. Called the power company and they fell it (hit the anchor too!) after I loaned them my saw. His was the worst rocked out chain I ever saw. May try that again as that pole is the last in the line leading to that abandoned farmstead. they just might remove the line for me.

Patch not as big as I remembered. guessing it about 3 acre now. Fewer trees than I recalled but there are a 4 or 5 more locusts hiding out in that patch of brush.

Gonna be quite a technical job working access to unless I wait until after harvest.

Will keep me amused anyhow and result in at least 3 cord.

Harry K

I wish you were closer Id give you a hand, with a loader and such, I love cleaning up farm ground,..If it dosent wipe out old memories Eric

On a sidenote:
As a guy that sometimes pulls plows through fields, I would ask the farmer if you should keep the stumps a few feet off the ground. He may wnt them out of there if he will be tilling. Just a thought, and the answer won't hurt you either way.

Great score. As others have mentioned, clean up and ask about stumps. Farmers often have farmer friends with more trees that need removed, that has been the case for me. If you clean up and put the stumps at the height they want they are happy. Then the neighbor sees the good job, asks the farmer who did it, and then the magic begins.:D

On a sidenote:
As a guy that sometimes pulls plows through fields, I would ask the farmer if you should keep the stumps a few feet off the ground. He may wnt them out of there if he will be tilling. Just a thought, and the answer won't hurt you either way.

Stumps have already been addressed. He and his brother have quite a collection of 'road construction' type equipment. I made the offer that after I have cut the trees, if he provides the backhoe the stumps will disappear. Of course I had to warn him that my total experience a BH is about 1 hour. :hmm3grin2orange:

If they don't have a BH, another neighbor does.

I also have a shot at some old pines that are growin around his current (daddies old) house. They were ancient 30 years ago and haven't gotten any younger. He mentioned them but then he got interrupted before I could clarify. He said "pines" but from 1/4 mile away they look more like fir or perhaps spruce.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back