Im not sure what forum to put it under....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVROOKIE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so i will try this one first.I have a LARGE problem.I purchased some land and do not have a tractor yet to brushhog it but there is poison ive/poison oak everywhere.I need something to kill it.and where im at, I'd even like to get something that would kill everything(bare ground ain't that bad at first)its around buildings/brickpiles..its everywhere...what is good that works.I tried some spectricide weed and brush killer and it wasn't very effective...can anyone help...thanks in advance

Triclopyr is also very effective and perhaps a little cheaper-same story-----spray the leaves and other plant tissues not the soil. There are several different brands. The most common packaging is as Ortho Brush-b-gone.

I have not had good luck with roundup on woody plants, like poison ivy. It turns the leaves yellow and they may even fall off, but the plant lives on. It takes a few more applications for complete control.

Another spray I've used is crossbow, which is a mix of triclopyr and 2-4D. It is better than roundup on the woody stuff and will kill better than half the plants in one spray.

If you don't care about the environment, and don't have any trees or shrubs around you care about, then tordon is for you. Never had a plant yet that didn't die with a shot of this stuff.

I've used diluted roundup on poison ivy and have gotten complete kills with 2 or 3 applications in a season. If you're looking for value I suggest "Kill Zall" by Hi-Yield which is just a generic version of Round up (41% glyphosate + surfactant) that goes for about half the price by the gallon of concentrate. I just got a gallon for $56 including shipping. If you search google you'll find the places selling it.

Just be careful after you spray because the dead poison ivy remains potent for quite a while after it's dead.

Just so we are all clear on this...

Whatever you end up buying, *ALWAYS* read and follow the label directions! That being said, any round-up you get at places like Walmart, Home Depot, etc, will be weak and probably ineffective. If you can find it, use Round-up Pro. Spray it now, and again in the fall when the plants are translocating more to the roots for a more effective kill. My local TSC sells Round-up Pro Dry for about $12 per 5 packets. Each packet makes 1 gallon of spray. At work, to get concentrate RU Pro, we order it. About $120 for 2.5 gallons.

If you want to figure this into your decision making, Round-up is probably the safest chemical to use on the market today...

Of course, there's always soil sterilants.... :D

Dan

ok now don't take this the wrong way but Im not worried about safe(unless it will harm myself) there are no dogs/cats/kids around..all i want is killing power LOL i want to kill it then I can cut it/pull it out and have a big ole bonfire with it.is all of the roundup pro the same?(say I buy it at home depot, lowes etc...)There is a local tractor supply company but I don't know what they carry...I guess the roundup pro is the popular choices...if anyone can think of anything better then it would be appreciated..i have til the weekend then i'll be a mixin sprayin fool..:alien: this tordon stuff mike, sounds like my cup of tea.. where is it available at and is that the name of it or is tordon the chemical..thanks all

Do a web search for tordon info, there's a bunch of sites, including the maker.
Just because Poison Ivy is dead does not mean the poison is gone, and there is as much poison in the stems and roots, as there is in the leaves, green or dried, so be careful.
If you happen to be sensitive to Poison Ivy, burning it can spread the poison to your lungs and kill you.
I wonder what the smoke from the fire will do to the chemical that you chose to kill the plants. It may shorten that half life Brian spoke of, or it may move the chemical directly to your or your family's lungs causing either instant, or slow lingering death by cancer. I wonder...
I must be feeling particularly morbid tonight.:eek:

A pest, by definition, is a plant or animal that is detrimental to humans or their concerns.
To apply a herbicide, fungicide or insecticide for hire, you need a commercial pesticide applicator license.
The roundup you drank is working, it's killing your brain.

Originally posted by WVROOKIE
ok now don't take this the wrong way but Im not worried about safe(unless it will harm myself) there are no dogs/cats/kids around..all i want is killing power. {QUOTE]

<hr>

Now don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not worried abour getting drunk and driving home at 60 mph;
An I'm not worried about pissing out the window of the bus if I need to;
an I'm not worried about HIV and if I keep keep spreadin' it, it's OK;
an I'm not worried about anything unless it it will harm myself....

Nice to meet you wvrook,

You certainly do need all the help yoiu can get.

Bob Wulkowicz

If I recall correctly, RoundUp is a Pesticide. Pesticides include

Herbicides
Insecticides
Miticides
Fungicides

Hence Oregon's State Commercial Pesticide Applicators License,
or State Pesticide Consultants License.

FOR THE ORIGINAL POST -

What do you want to do with the land?

Unless I was going to plant a crop, it might be a benefit to save grass type plants for reasons like erosion control.

RoundUp kill almost everything - but for Poison Oak, you will almost have to spray that in mid or late September. And you will need the dust off the leaves. Dust is very bad for effective RoundUp use.

Crossbow may do quite well on Poison Oak.

Also, products like Trimec can wreak havoc on weeds and Poison Oak but at the same time preserve the grass - Trimec is a turf type product. It will kill weeds, big trees, small trees. Mainly via foliage.

One chemical in it, Dicamba, can remain on or in soil, but not to any great extent in one application is all you do.

You may need to use 2 chemicals separately. Some are compatible also, should you choose simultaneous use in areas.

On the Country Clubs, out side the rough, and at University campus wild areas bordering parking lots, we usually relied on at least 2 pesticides.

If you time it - no matter what spray - for after a cleansing rain, that is much in your favor. Be aware of neighbors.

If there are vineyards next door, avoid breezes, ESPECIALLY with 2,4 - D products.

Deodar Cedar, and other Cedrus, take a hit from that too.

You might consider spraying at 75 degrees or cooler, like in the evening, or very early morning.

Bob, what i meant by my statement was that I would be the only one in the area, that maybe i could use stuff that is a little bit stronger because there will be no way that dog's, cat's or kids will be around in that area...im not saying i don't care about the environment but I am not limited in using something by lower strength because children or animals will come in contact with. thats why i specifically said to not take it the right way.see, I did think before I spoke.you just took it the wrong way.and bob, nice to meet you to:blob2: I know there are some good people on this board but I know that there is also alot of garb supposed to be for poison ivy that doesn't work.I was just wanting to save myself time and money and thought that with others mistakes in buying that they would help me...thanks again for everyones help

poison ivy

If you have a problem with the ivy what about the ajoining land? If there is a large fruiting vines on the neighbor's land the birds will bring seeds to reseed your place.The biggest vines I cut this year were about 100' up the trees and 3" diameter, they grow back and are easier to get a handle on when smaller. The problem will come back if your neighbor's have ivy growing up their trees and the birds bring in seeds to reseed your place. Do not burn this stuff, you can spread it through the smoke carrying the oil in the air. I won't offer a chemical fix, I cut it down then keep it mowwed.

Tordon and yummy Roundup??

Starting to scare me here. Not an applicator, nor do I want to be one....other rainbows to chase. But if I went to a supplier and bought Tordon without a license, and used it on some of the woodiest pests known to man, mesquite, cedar(ashe juniper), asiatic salt cedar, and retama, I could tell you that certainly it will erradicate p-ivy or p-oak.

I say look for real solutions and find some mouth wash instead of roundup. I'm still not convinced aspirin is safe.....:confused:

ok maybe i missed something but ,what was the comment about mouthwash about.I do plan on keeping it mowed after i get it cleared but the problem is , that i have to clear it off the land first.I was wanting to kill it before removing it.I work in the medical profession and I can't go in with poison ivy all over me.Just a little explanation ,

Originally posted by WVROOKIE
ok maybe i missed something but ,what was the comment about mouthwash about?

A ref to Brain drinking Roundup

Drinking a pesticide?!!?:eek:
Roundup not a pesticide???:confused: :confused:

Brian, your ignorance is hanging out in the breeze!

A salt is a chemical class, it does not make it safe; there are arsnic salts. They are not safe to ingest.

Epsom salts will do a number on your drawers.

MSDS PPE requirements on Glyphosate- Personal protection equipment: OVERALLS, SAFETY SHOES, SAFETY GLASSES, GLOVES (S).

Since it is a PDF doc, I could not cut and paste, but small amounts of ingested product can cause vomiting, diareah, gastric discomfort....

That very unprofesional statement has definatly knocked you down a few knothces in my eyes.

If it weren't against baord plicy I would call you a stupid friggin idiot for placing the industry in such a bad light with the public:angry:

Screw it, you are an idiot. And I will report this post to the moderator myself!

Back