I'm not too good at tree ID. Anyone care to guess what type of wood this is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in southern Ontario and have a chance to pick up some free firewood. Do any of you have any idea what type of wood this is?
I'm guessing oak or maple but not sure.

Thanks
Tim
wood.jpg

Based on your long range photo, I can only positively identify it as firewood. If you want us to identify the species, post some close up pictures of the bark, end grain and leaves.

Sorry, that's the best I have as it was posted by the person giving the wood away.

I am going over tomorrow to get some. It will at least give something to beat on with the 026.

Last edited:
Very few elms left around here. If it is, it should be interesting splitting with an ax. I think the last time I split some elm was about 35 years ago and I can remember the maul bouncing back over my head.

if you got the wood that's in the picture you have neither oak nor maple I'd really say elm

judging by the climbing harness laying next to it I'd say it is freshly cut and with that color I'd say siberian elm... just cut one down last week and its eerily similar but I guess if you say its oak it must be oak:msp_unsure:

It's Black Walnut.

lol its called BLACK walnut for a reason or when fresh cut its got more of a green to it not brown/tan. if the wood had been sitting around for a while I would say the color would be a match to mulberry but since its fresh cut it not yellow enough maybe its a "canadian" oak ya'll talk wierd so maybe you grow your oaks with weird color too :laugh:

Nope EHHHHHH!, not walnut. The main trunks were still standing. All we have around here as far as oaks go is a bit of white oak but almost all of it is red oak. Lots af ash as well but I suspect I'll be around long enough to see almost all of the ash die from the emerald ash borer.
Although, it could have been arctic ##### willow. The dark color comes from the beer spilled around the trees.

I did have a lot of fun cutting it to size for the fireplace and splitting it.

Last edited:
Well, you guys are the experts.
The guy told me it was oak but after I got it split and stacked I had a look at the end grain and I don't think it is oak ( I told you I'm a bit of a stump when it comes to tree ID). Thanks for all your replies.
I took a few pics of the end grain, two chainsaw cut and the other end which I cleaned up on a circular saw and a pic of the bark and split grain.

Maybe that will help put the question to rest. The pics are a bit blurry. If there is anyting else I can do to help ID it, let me know.
Thanks again for all your input,
Tim

IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

I say elm, maybe Red (Slippery).

And I'd hope it's not Siberian Elm. That is the most invasive and junky tree of all the elms.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back