i'm starting to see a pattern in the 20 something employees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tophopper said:
You are the employer,YOU are responsible to carry WC not him.

i do, but he has to pay for it out of his wages. i tell them it's like subsidizing their own healthcare insurance... which is true in a sense.

treeminator said:
i do, but he has to pay for it out of his wages. i tell them it's like subsidizing their own healthcare insurance... which is true in a sense.

YOU are responsible to pay for it not him!!

Most people fold expenses into what they are paying...without telling the worker that is the case.

For example. Willing to pay 12 bucks an hour - but really pay 10.50 and keep the other 1.50 for comp. ect...

He is just being upfront with it to the guy. A 16 year should know that kind of stuff anyways and work through it.

:)

Insometry said:

Most people fold expenses into what they are paying...without telling the worker that is the case.

For example. Willing to pay 12 bucks an hour - but really pay 10.50 and keep the other 1.50 for comp. ect...

He is just being upfront with it to the guy. A 16 year should know that kind of stuff anyways and work through it.

:)

thank you, Isometry !!! finally someone on here understands.

more idiocy...from the troll....

Personally, and as with most good companies that I know, I prefer everyone on the crew to be experienced, and preferably already be a good arborist. If I do break in a greenhorn, that person will have to learn while on the ground for at least a year.

In Wa State, the appx WC rate for any worker involved in tree care operations over 12 feet above ground, whether climbing or grounding, is $2.75 per manhr. In other states, WC rates are a percentage of payroll, and many are sky high, much much more than the $1 an hr this fool is talking about. About 20% of that figure can be deducted from the worker's pay. As well, it is not legal to hire anyone under 18 years of age if they will be working around machinery. I assume this is a nationwide guideline.....

I deeply resent the original statement of this thread. I'm 26 and I have more going than most people ten years older and I can earn my salt. To casually lump an age group together such as that is ignorant. Maybe you ought to look at your hiring practices or where you find employees because something sure isn't working for you. Lazy people are everywhere and at every age group,unfortunately.

How old are you? It seems there was a whole generation of boneheads around that time. Feels nice doesn't it.

Smokindodgew101 said:
I deeply resent the original statement of this thread. I'm 26 and I have more going than most people ten years older and I can earn my salt. To casually lump an age group together such as that is ignorant.

Wah wah wah. :cry:

Nobody said anything about YOU, and nobody said EVERYBODY. Taking offense at a generalization as if it were applied to you in particular is ignorant.

And immature.

Generalizations are sometimes true.

treeminator said:
i've hired lots of guys and i'm starting to see a pattern develop. it seems the older guys (35+) and the younger guys (-19) will work their a-- off. but the 20 to 34 year olds are a bunch of lazy good for nothings. it's almost like there;s a whole generation gap of wimps. too much video games or something in their past. they really don't know how to handle a hard days work. i recently hired a teenager and he's working circles around the other guys.

do any of you see this too?

Mark, I'm not crying. I'm not even hurt that bad anymore, after all you have to consider the source of this statement.

It's just interesting that if a discriminating generalization about race had been posted instead of a discriminating generalization about age it would be different ball game.

As a class, poor people are less intelligent than middle class people. Why? I dunno. Maybe it's too much inbreeding. Maybe it's tied to poor nutrition, both for expectant mothers and young children. Maybe it's lack of adequate mental stimulation during the growing years. Maybe it's that incredibly stupid idea that being uneducated is somehow superior. In other words, a cultural thing. Maybe it's all of the above. (I sure see plenty of all of them around here.)

Are there exceptions? Sure! Plenty! Still, the generalization is accurate. It can be seen in the black ghetto, white Appalachia, Latino barrios, Indian reservations, and anywhere else there is generational poverty. Pretending it isn't so ensures there will be no cure for the problem.

The idea that generalizations about people are eeeevil is just plain stupid.

The only valid question is, is the generalization accurate?

TreeCo said:
Maybe it's because intelligent people usually earn more money.

hmmmm, interesting. here's what i've noticed with workers who come from different monetary cultures. the poor employees tend to work their butts off until they saved up a few thousand then they totally burn out, slack off, blow their money on "spinning rims" or drugs and quit. they end up broke within 2 months of quitting. the non-poor workers tend to work at a slower pace, but don't burn out nearly as quickly and save up. they also don't blow their cash on "bling" things.

my buddy, who strictly hires mexicans, say that alot of them live in the USA on temp visas for limited time. they save up every penny and go back to Mexico and live freely for a few years then return to the USA again and repeat the process.

treeminator said:
hmmmm, interesting. here's what i've noticed with workers who come from different monetary cultures. the poor employees tend to work their butts off until they saved up a few thousand then they totally burn out, slack off, blow their money on "spinning rims" or drugs and quit. they end up broke within 2 months of quitting. the non-poor workers tend to work at a slower pace, but don't burn out nearly as quickly and save up. they also don't blow their cash on "bling" things.

my buddy, who strictly hires mexicans, say that alot of them live in the USA on temp visas for limited time. they save up every penny and go back to Mexico and live freely for a few years then return to the USA again and repeat the process.
OK tard, how is it anyone saves anything when you pay climbers $8 an hour, and make them pay thier own comp? Answer that for us.

clearance said:
OK tard, how is it anyone saves anything when you pay climbers $8 an hour, and make them pay thier own comp? Answer that for us.

actually most of them live at home or with a bunch of roomates. it's especially easy to save money if they live at home. plus, if they choose to, they can work up to 14 hours per day.

I work mostly 12 hours days and I'm continually broke. I have excuses, though. Baileys, Sherrill, Okie tree dude, computer and video hardware, and of course, the biggest income preventer of them all, hangin out with you guys online when I could be workin! My wife says I'm an idiot, and I guess, mebbe so, but then she would be generalizing to all of you. I am not alone in this. :biggrinbounce2:

A cultural thing !

BlueRidgeMark said:
As a class, poor people are less intelligent than middle class people. Maybe it's lack of adequate mental stimulation during the growing years. In other words, a cultural thing .

You got that right !
I wasn't adequately stimulated during the growing years, and I have been paying for it ever since.

Back