Immune to CAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I see lots of guys in here joking around (or not) about CAD. Are there others out there besides me who are immune to the disease/disorder? I cut/split/deliver over 100 cords a year and I just like to have the equipment to get the job done without all of the extras. I have 2 saws, 1 splitter, 1 maul, 1 tractor with forks, and 1 dump truck plus my regular pickup to process and deliver. I'm not a gadget guy or a tool collector. I also don't enjoy working in the garage fixing things up. Maybe I'm cheap and don't want to spend the money but either way, CAD is not one of my worries. Do I lose my man card? Do I get blacklisted? Tell me I'm not alone.

I don't have CAD. I just have 4 saws. one is an old husky that has been in my family almost as long as I have, so I keep it around. all my cutting is done with an ms460, and an o28. although I do really enjoy getting new tools. and having the right tool for the job. I don't buy a tool unless i really need it. whether its a chainsaw, skid loader attachment, wrench, screw gun, etc...

I felt I was fine with 2 then 3 saws for a couple of years. Then one day I just needed more.
ohhh how I wish you weren't leaving early............matt would put you on a "tuned" saw,,and youd be owning more...................I don't know if spido has bought more,,but it opened his eyes last year...........matt should be there this pm..talk to him....

I'm with you JRIDER. I have 3 saws(2 were used deals I couldn't pass on,the other is a stihl 460 I bought new in '02, but I haven't run an ounce of gas through any of them in almost 2 years. I got hooked up in a premo deal so all I really need to do is split for now. What a relief not to have to do the scrounging, cutting and such! Haven't taken the Unimog to the timber in well over a year either!

Only thing keeping me from catching CAD is money. I have managed to trade for 3 rancher 55's, a 365 and a 346. I also did convert my dump trailer into a wood hauler, and I am building processor that will handle 30in dia wood. I built a 30ton splitter with a 6way wedge that can easily split a cord an hour, if I can feed it that fast. I burn about 4-5 cords a year so the processor is a real necessity, not a CAD symptom

Only thing keeping me from catching CAD is money. I have managed to trade for 3 rancher 55's, a 365 and a 346. I also did convert my dump trailer into a wood hauler, and I am building processor that will handle 30in dia wood. I built a 30ton splitter with a 6way wedge that can easily split a cord an hour, if I can feed it that fast. I burn about 4-5 cords a year so the processor is a real necessity, not a CAD symptom
MONEY?? whats that????? :laughing::laughing:

I have 3 saws. Two 33cc homelites, and a forty something cc Poulan. They were free. It may be a little slow, but i'm only cutting wood for myself. Six cords so far this year.
That's how I started tens years back. Then the CAD crept in slowly and ,"Bamo".....I was infected.
Friends at work tease me about it and ask if I sleep with my saws and dream of big "wood" ....ha,ha.

I see lots of guys in here joking around (or not) about CAD. Are there others out there besides me who are immune to the disease/disorder? I cut/split/deliver over 100 cords a year and I just like to have the equipment to get the job done without all of the extras. I have 2 saws, 1 splitter, 1 maul, 1 tractor with forks, and 1 dump truck plus my regular pickup to process and deliver. I'm not a gadget guy or a tool collector. I also don't enjoy working in the garage fixing things up. Maybe I'm cheap and don't want to spend the money but either way, CAD is not one of my worries. Do I lose my man card? Do I get blacklisted? Tell me I'm not alone.

You get to keep your man card. You are either a good liar, or you haven't noticed it yet. I was out of the tree business for about 15 years. On vacation one year I went into my shed and had over 20 old Homelites from when my Dad was in business. I spent the whole week cleaning and tuning, getting them all running. The following year I did it all over again, then had a big yard sale and sold all of them except Dad's two 100 CC Homelite 1050's. Then the next thing you know, someone came over and said "you want this XL12, sure. You want this XL 924, sure. Then I was at a yard sale and it was, how much do you want for the XL 700. Shoot, now my shed has over 20 old Homelites in it again, and I only use my Stihl 660 for milling and my ms 290 for firewood. Now saws just stick to me like I have velcro on me, and I DO NOT HAVE CAD EITHER, I DON'T, I DON'T, I DON'T, Joe.

I'm with you jrider, I have the absolute bare minimum tools I need to process the wood I do.. Now my wife she just has to have several of everything. This is KUAD ( kitchen utensil acquisition disorder) to the extreme, must be 30 in this holder alone and she has 2 drawers with more in them. And a sample of TPAD (toilet paper acquisition disorder) There are 2 of us in the house and we have 22 rolls in this closet and 20 in another closet, plus several in each bathroom.
IMG_20160429_190928.jpg IMG_20160429_190928.jpg IMG_20160429_191008.jpg

Latest posts

Back