Immune to CAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had CAD and was accumulating saws, until I ended up buying 2 stolen saws off craigslist. That was 2 and a half years ago..I just got my restitution check today$575. They made the guy pay everyone he screwed over back. I Will never buy another used thing off CL, I don't even look on there anymore. I buy new stuff when I need it.

I cut firewood for 20 years with one 20" saw, and did just fine. I think this site got me hooked. I have 9 now. I have slowed down on buying, I haven't bought a saw in over 8 months now. Is it possable to have too many saw's? It's getting hard to use them enough to keep them all running. I don't think you could loose your man card for not catching CAD. You may just be wiser, The more stuff you got, the more stuff you have to maintain/work on/fix.

I have a 2045 jonsered I bought new many years ago still run great...I also have a poulan electric I bought years ago also, don't use it for much but it comes in handy on the occasional ones that make in the cellar to long.....

I only have 1 saw, but it's not for lack of wanting/craving more. Rather it's a result of raisin a 10 year old girl an 11year old boy on my own. By the time bills get paid kids stuff *dance, curling, clothes, archery, fishing, bikes, makeup, etc* taken care of there ain't much left for daddy to play but I keep looking for that rare 395xp that's shot and in need of someone to bring it back to life for under $400 Canadian. LOL

I forgot I had a 30 year old Jonsered 670 that no one can get parts for to make run right for over 30 minutes at a time. Just can't make myself part with it either. Maybe I could post it up in the chainsaw section and one of you guys that do have the VIRUS will take it off my hands!

I had CAD and was accumulating saws, until I ended up buying 2 stolen saws off craigslist. That was 2 and a half years ago..I just got my restitution check today$575. They made the guy pay everyone he screwed over back. I Will never buy another used thing off CL, I don't even look on there anymore. I buy new stuff when I need it.

Does that mean you don't want to buy my '93 F350 4x4? It's a great truck. I think you need it.

I starter with a Super EZ from my dad. Brother gave me Gramps old Super XL. Cut a lot with them 2. Wanted something a little faster. Stihl MS440 came up on CL just a few miles away. Loved it and cut a lot with it. Picked up 4 saws over the next year from a retired tree service. Sold 2 of those. Picked up a MS660 from Tradin Post. Threw a spare bar on it. Picked up a 044 from here also to put on the end of another spare bar. I always keep an eye on CL, but not much deals around here. Pretty happy for now. unless a smokin deal on a 357 comes up.

I always ask for a picture of serial number and have a cop friends run. If seller doesn't comply with photo, no go.

LoveStihlQuality

I always ask for a picture of serial number and have a cop friends run. If seller doesn't comply with photo, no go.

LoveStihlQuality
The guy worked for a tree service. He told me he owned a tree service and was getting rid of some duplicates said he needed the money. It was end of December and really cold and snowy, so made sense. Prices weren't abnormally low, he parked right under a camera at a busy store when I met him, and that day there was a few cops in the parking lot, and he had the saw laying next to the car(not sure if the cops were there for him looking suspicious) . But I thought there was no way the would be stolen because of where he parked ect. The thing is he had just took them and even if I checked them out they would not have been reported yet. He was using a company phone to text me , he got busted because I texted him a week later about another saw he wanted to sell and the owner had the phone.

Does that mean you don't want to buy my '93 F350 4x4? It's a great truck. I think you need it.
No.. the detective told me a lot of people end up buying stolen cars,atv's, construction equipment, and do know it . And end up giving it back. It's hard to verify ownership on used equipment. Can you prove all your stuff is yours?? The owner of the stolen 660 I bought could not prove it was his, but he described it and it obviously was his so I handed it over. It wasn't registered or anything.

In my beginning stages of Cad I ran across several Husqvarna 262xp's all of them looked liked junk to most folks.
After disassembled and cleaned I begun to make 3 or 4 running saws I started collecting more and more of firewood
type saws. After a couple years of buying, building and flipping I did a 180 and started to collect and restoring saws from the 60's and earlier.
I wish at times I could have lived and worked in the woods of the Pacific North West in the early years when the chainsaw was first introduced.
Looking at pictures back then of those slow and heavy models keeps my passion for the chainsaw going. I like all types of yesteryears small engines.
I have a hobby now not a condition called CAD.
My collection one day will be turned over to my grandson and when that time comes some of his saws will be 100 years old
I own more than one gun to.
Do I have GAD?

I'm with you JRIDER. I have 3 saws(2 were used deals I couldn't pass on,the other is a stihl 460 I bought new in '02, but I haven't run an ounce of gas through any of them in almost 2 years. I got hooked up in a premo deal so all I really need to do is split for now. What a relief not to have to do the scrounging, cutting and such! Haven't taken the Unimog to the timber in well over a year either!

Since you don't "Need" your Unimog anymore, I'll be glad to rehome it for
You. It will get treated like a cherished family member, and put up dry.

JLMK. [emoji38]

I forgot I had a 30 year old Jonsered 670 that no one can get parts for to make run right for over 30 minutes at a time. Just can't make myself part with it either. Maybe I could post it up in the chainsaw section and one of you guys that do have the VIRUS will take it off my hands!
Paging RB.

I've been thinking about a thread about marking equipment. My Pop had a stolen saw recovered a year plus later. Engraved.

Both of these are great ideas. And like you say, a whole other thread...
I have heard the best way to mark/engrave equipment is with a drivers license number, because it can be tracked in any state. Don't really know if it is true or not, but makes sense.

I live in a summer resort town with a high volume of weekend traffic, both in-state, and out-of-state. I'm guessing one third of the homes here are out-of-state ownership, or weekend rentals. Many of the rentals are homes bought by realtors in a slow economy and now rented. The rub is, a lot of these rental homes are in neighborhoods. It is causing a lot of issues for neighbors when groups of people rent these places to have a good time weekend. And that's another thread too.

LoveStihlQuality
Just again, what looked like a brand new ms 362 cm for $450. Texted right away that would buy, in meantime pic of serial number. Ad taken down. Texted about status, said sold. Not so sure.

LoveStihlQuality

Latest posts

Back