Impact on Flywheel Nuts: Risk?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Harley cranks are three pieces. It’s not advised to use an impact on them because one can knock the left and right sides out of time. Is that true of chainsaw cranks, too? I just gunned off my Husqvarna 350 flywheel nut, then immediately wondered if that was smart.

Spot on HarleyT. Removal I use cordless 3/8 drive with spark plug out. If really stubborn, I grab the 3/8 Snap On air.

When installing/assembling, sometimes use the cordless on low setting on cheaper homeowner saws. Bigger pro saws I use the pull start rope down the plug hole trick for a piston stop and torque the nut.

I will also add 1 drop of blue Loctite to the threads before tightening anything down.

Impact is like good whiskey, all n moderation.
I used impact on a 1995 Nissan truck, no problems.

I use my impact to take the flywheel nut off, fill the cyl with rope and use my torque wrench when putting the nut back on. On some saws I will fill the cylinder with rope and impact the clutch back on, no problems yet.

My buddy used an impact to take the flywheel nut off a homelite super2 and it was left with basically no threads he payed $10 for the saw he threaded the nut on tight as he could and tack welded it on now he has a running top handle for small stuff.

Rattling a nut off by impact (IR 231 oughta do it) seems less stressful than the prolonged torque required to manually break a nut loose.Not to mention trying to stop your flying knuckles crashing into sharp objects.

i impact hd [and saw] stuff all the time
dont need much holdin back for impact to do its job
no piston stops or rope used here
hd clutch hubs are just hand held while doin so
3pc hd cranks are bit of a joke to begin with - not rebuildable
seen few tweaked from ridin, not impactin

yep you’re fine. I use my Milwaukee impact wrench and impact driver on every nut and bolt I can get them on. I’ll only turn sockets and screw drivers by hand if I really have to.
+1 for using a Milwaukee impact driver for almost everything.
I ended up cleaning out one tool drawer and only keeping 1/4" hex tools that fit the impact driver in that drawer.

I have a Milwaukee 1/2" drive impact wrench, but, it is seldom needed,,
the impact driver can do almost everything I want, as far as turning fasteners.

As far as tightening, you have to use some caution, especially on small fasteners,,
one impact driver has especially nice control on tightening,, it seems to vary with the length of time it is tightening.

I do not know how my wrists survived, when I had to hand crank ratchets,, :clap:

Latest posts

Back