Increased idle tuning question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

When I started the saw the first time after the muffler mod. One thing that I noticed was how it idled faster. Before the mod I had it set to 2800 and after the mod it was around 3400.

It was really interesting to see how opening the exhaust increased the idle. Is it because it would be somehow running slightly leaner? Or is it because air can travel less restricted so for the same butterfly position air passes more freely past it?

the increase in idle is a great indication that the mod helped it breath better either way!

Am I right in thinking that it’s not idling higher because it’s running leaner because, yes more air passes through, but a proportionate increase in fuel amount would flow through too?

I remember reading this, but I can’t remember where...

EDIT: I may have answered my own question now that I look back to what I did earlier. I remember that I opened the L screw a little to fatten it up which would decrease idle) for fear that it could have been lean, and that resulted I a slight (rich?) bog / burble / hesitation off idle on acceleration. Therefore I returned it to the original setting (screwed the L back in / slightly leaner) it it ran cleanly and then just lowered the idle screw instead. This makes me think, it wasn’t running faster at idle because it was lean, it was running at idle faster because after the mod more air can pass through the same Butterfly opening?

Be gentle, I’m still very new at this ha.

I’d love to try and understand this, if you could shed some light on the subject and what’s happening that would be great!

Tommy I have been following you on a few threads. You seem to have analysis paralysis and maybe are a little anal-retentive. It's OK we are all a little different. What would you do without the internet? Carry on. LOL

Haha I couldn’t agree more, the problem is I’m absolutely obsessive, a perfectionist through and through and have a poor memory. Can you imagine how annoying it is to be me lol.

It’s funny but it’s not lol, horrible to be an obsessive perfectionist as you can never be happy with what you achieve, but can’t help it!

m-Tronic would be perfect for my tuning perfectionist tendencies lol

Haha I couldn’t agree more, the problem is I’m absolutely obsessive, a perfectionist through and through and have a poor memory. Can you imagine how annoying it is to be me lol.

It’s funny but it’s not lol, horrible to be an obsessive perfectionist as you can never be happy with what you achieve, but can’t help it!

m-Tronic would be perfect for my tuning perfectionist tendencies lol
Hi Tom, I enjoy following your threads, I admire your drive for answers and getting things working again!
I find your questions interesting and the answers you receive help others out too!
Keep up the good work, kind regards, Toby

Hi Tom, I enjoy following your threads, I admire your drive for answers and getting things working again!
I find your questions interesting and the answers you receive help others out too!

Same.

And dont forget to richin the high side tom

Thank you Toby that’s really kind and much appreciated :)

Hi guys,

When I started the saw the first time after the muffler mod. One thing that I noticed was how it idled faster. Before the mod I had it set to 2800 and after the mod it was around 3400.

It was really interesting to see how opening the exhaust increased the idle. Is it because it would be somehow running slightly leaner? Or is it because air can travel less restricted so for the same butterfly position air passes more freely past it?

the increase in idle is a great indication that the mod helped it breath better either way!

Am I right in thinking that it’s not idling higher because it’s running leaner because, yes more air passes through, but a proportionate increase in fuel amount would flow through too?

I remember reading this, but I can’t remember where...

EDIT: I may have answered my own question now that I look back to what I did earlier. I remember that I opened the L screw a little to fatten it up which would decrease idle) for fear that it could have been lean, and that resulted I a slight (rich?) bog / burble / hesitation off idle on acceleration. Therefore I returned it to the original setting (screwed the L back in / slightly leaner) it it ran cleanly and then just lowered the idle screw instead. This makes me think, it wasn’t running faster at idle because it was lean, it was running at idle faster because after the mod more air can pass through the same Butterfly opening?

Be gentle, I’m still very new at this ha.

I’d love to try and understand this, if you could shed some light on the subject and what’s happening that would be great!
Some of the 2 stroke model glow engines K&B 3.5, 6.5., 7.5 have only a simple venturi and use an exhaust valve to control engine speed. It gives instant throttle response.

MM improves air flow in and out, you'll need to increase idle to let it run right.
If you're air filter is not flowing enough air it'll run richer, higher idle after MM doesnt mean its running lean

I had to do the opposite and close LA a quarter turn to bring idle back down. Before MM it idled at 2800 after MM did so at 3500.

tried fattening the L to lower idle just in case it was lean, but then I got a splutter off idle so returned L to previous setting and lowered LA works great.

I had to do the opposite and close LA a quarter turn to bring idle back down. Before MM it idled at 2800 after MM did so at 3500.

tried fattening the L to lower idle just in case it was lean, but then I got a splutter off idle so returned L to previous setting and lowered LA works great.
Correct.

Yes you're right, you'll need to tune idle higher to get it to run right
Also when you set L check for side idles, not just straight. If you need to fatten L alot to get it run right, you've gone too far with MM and also your intake not flowing enough to be balanced. You can test this by removing air filter when the best tune seems to be L opened fully

Latest posts

Back