Indiana wood sellers:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemind

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What is the IC for the firewood sale, in reference to wood must be sold by the cord?

I can only find one county that has the law listed, and that appears to only be for that county.

Thanks for the assistance.

Most guys around our area are just selling it by the pickup load, I live just south of Ashley, my wifes uncle lives just outside of Fremont

Most guys around our area are just selling it by the pickup load, I live just south of Ashley, my wifes uncle lives just outside of Fremont

Yeah I know that is the way they sell.

I thought Indiana had the firewood law, like some states, that said wood was to be sold by the cord or fractions thereof.

Down here around the Louisville area, it is pretty prevalent by the "rick". I was always told that a rick was 1/2 cord, but damned if anybody sells the wood over 18" and most are closer to 15".

hmmm.....

my understanding is that a rick, face cord, stove cord or what a lot of people around here call a "cord" is 1/3 a "FULL CORD" (4x4x8)

Regardless of your laws sell it by the cord or fractions thereof. It's not much harder, it is safer legally, and you can easily 'translate it' verbally for the customer.

Heck, figure up the volume of your truck bed and sell it by the .415 Cord. If nothing else it'll get peoples attention and then you can just explain that that is one truck load worth of wood.:D

I also have checked Indiana Code and do not believe that there are any State laws governing the sale of firewood. I think we need them. Unless you have purchased wood from someone before you really have no concrete idea what amount someone is going to deliver. A "pickup load" could be anything from an S-10 w/a toolbox installed to a F-350 longbed stacked to the rooftop. I don't think most sellers around here even know what a cord is.

hmmm.....

my understanding is that a rick, face cord, stove cord or what a lot of people around here call a "cord" is 1/3 a "FULL CORD" (4x4x8)

Regardless of your laws sell it by the cord or fractions thereof. It's not much harder, it is safer legally, and you can easily 'translate it' verbally for the customer.

Heck, figure up the volume of your truck bed and sell it by the .415 Cord. If nothing else it'll get peoples attention and then you can just explain that that is one truck load worth of wood.:D

????? Does it really matter? :confused: If the customer knows what he buying (long bed, short bed, S-10, full size) and he is happy with the price then you sell it right? or Buy it what ever the case. That is kinda how buying and selling anything has always worked. If I ask too much for something then I probably won't sell it or if the customer is unhappy with the end result I won't see any repeat business.

????? Does it really matter? :confused: If the customer knows what he buying (long bed, short bed, S-10, full size) and he is happy with the price then you sell it right? or Buy it what ever the case. That is kinda how buying and selling anything has always worked. If I ask too much for something then I probably won't sell it or if the customer is unhappy with the end result I won't see any repeat business.

I partially agree with you.

However, when we buy gas or milk, we expect a "gallon" to be a universal measurement. Not what one retailer and another believe a gallon is. I don't know IF I really favor anymore laws, but sellers can't seem to agree to sell by a universal measurement.

If times get harder and people start buring more wood, someone will get burnt and complain. Then the law will be all over every seller, because a few got screwed.

I try to track prices and amounts for wood, to keep my prices in check. Some guys just don't have a clue. Others are pretty smart and honest (the majority). It is going to be the terms, other than CORD, that ends up screwing it up for all us sellers.

I don't know if I've actually seen wood advertised by the cord. As mentioned above, pick-up loads seem to be the norm. $45-$60 currently. The younger guys are also learning that truly seasoned wood can be sold higher than the semi green ,quick buck wood they are now offering. Since joining AS, I've learned not to us the R word-rick. Ruffles too many feathers. The standard 4x8x(name your length) is running $50 around here, West side of the state, along the Wabash. As far as a law, I'd be surprised.

Down here in SW Indiana I see it advertised in the paper mostly as a cord or 1/2 cord. I don't know what it actually is as I never purchased from them, I cut my own. You have to watch out as some people think a cord is a stack 4x8, not 4x4x8.

But you can get about a 1/2 cord in a fully loaded full size pick-up, so it's kinda easy to judge when they pull up.

I suppose it doesn't matter...but it's easier that way (to me) because of "the principle".

If you just say "truckload" you then have to describe your truck and how big a "truckload" is. You've got two people doing there best to understand and guess at what the other person is thinking.

There's no guessing on 0.50 cord.

A person (or I at least) want to know what I'm paying for as a matter of principle.

What if I think the loaded should've been piled up more...or less?

I do think differently than most people. (Seriously, I know I do.) Having a set volume of "product" is easier to me than describing the container it comes in.

It made sales where they'd come pick it up easier as well. Measure the bed, do a little math then tell them how high they could pile it.

Last edited:
Indiana Code does not define a "rick". Also does not have any reference to sale of firewood. I was always told that a rick was half a cord (64 cubic feet), but that is a local definition.

Watch local newspaper or go to your legislators website and find out when they are having a "3rd house" meeting, then go to meeting and state your opinion, whether we need a law to define firewood sales or not.

No matter which way you feel on the subject attend a "3rd house" meeting and get involved. You will be amazed at some of the crazy things that the legislators are asked to consider.

I have seen some really small pickup truckloads of firewood sold.

i'm in Greene county....there is no law or reg's down here.....45 buc's a rick..4'x8'x16"...i can't cut and spilt fast enough....behind 10 rick's....

I partially agree with you.

However, when we buy gas or milk, we expect a "gallon" to be a universal measurement. Not what one retailer and another believe a gallon is. I don't know IF I really favor anymore laws, but sellers can't seem to agree to sell by a universal measurement.

If times get harder and people start buring more wood, someone will get burnt and complain. Then the law will be all over every seller, because a few got screwed.

I try to track prices and amounts for wood, to keep my prices in check. Some guys just don't have a clue. Others are pretty smart and honest (the majority). It is going to be the terms, other than CORD, that ends up screwing it up for all us sellers.

I see your point, but we definitely are not at the "Retail" stage, I don't think. It isn't like a big business trying to claim they have... An all American made car and are selling hundreds like that when the truth is it has chinamen made parts all over it! It is a "gentlemen's" business right now; One guy cuts more wood than he needs to make a little side money, the next guy doesn't want to cut his own wood or is unable so he buys it. I still say if you are happy with the product for the price then pay it if not then let it go. Besides if someone showed up at my house claiming they were bringing a "cord of wood" and brought it in an S-10 I would tell the guy take it back in a heart beat!!

Extreme nothwest IN and Chicago area has used the term face cord the most since I have been selling wood in the early 1980's. I give my customers a receipt with what the stack dimensions are stacked in the length of wood such as 1 face cord (4x8'x16") or 1/3 cord or whatever it measures stacked and equates in cords using 128 cu. ft. as the base figure. Calculator comes in handy with uneven numbers.
Last year at this time not much wood was for sale here but I see many local firewood ads now mostly by the pick up load.
Never heard of any laws governing the measurement but I consider by definition a cord (4x4x8')as the only specific measurement of wood.

Latest posts

Back