info needed on HAWKEN out door wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porta mill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need some info reguarding an out door wood stove . I just sold my house , the new owners installed a hawken out door wood stove, this unit is keep me busy supplying thenm with wood . the house and garage are no more than 200 sqft I had an empry heating the house and used no where near the ammount of wood they are using . was wondering if there are any other pepple using a hawkin rated for aprox 4400 sqr-ft using alot of wood . This unit will not last 12 hours burning ash . I know it is not a pipe/insulation problem because they are using the insulation and pipe I left behind . getting to piont is a hawkin a good stove or not and how efficiant are they .

thank you any infor is apriciated

owb in general

while I'm not that familiar with Hawken ( I looked at them,but thats it), A few questions. Is it set up for forced hot air in both the house and garage with seperate heat exchangers? Forced hot air sucks the heat right out of water. If they are seperate, good, if not is the thermostat always set real high? Maybe a programable thermostat is in order. I always turn my thermostat down at night, and for the rare extended period I'm not home. The workshop has its own heat exchanger and the thermostat is set low at night. A lot of people try to keep their house hot like it has a woodstove in the room when they have a owb, and you will eat the wood in that case.

hawken

the house and garague are forced hot water. they put in a programable thermostat . the house seems to be about 70 degrees just the way I kept it when the house was mine . evert thinkg is set up the same except for the programablt thermo stat when I heated it with my unit

so you had an owb also ? and if so apparently with much better results. From what you described, the set up should work good. I load my boiler every 12 to 14 hours, BUT I don't have to, its still burning and throwing heat. I am sure someone here will have some info.Good luck

Back