insert, freestanding or furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
hey guys i been away a long while. my little dutchwest insert isnt cutting it anymore. i cant deal with the crappy burn times anymore. i also have a old free standing stove i the cellar that can heat the whole house great but she eats the wood. i also have forced hot water heat thats been disconnected for years since i went with full blown wood heat.

so my question is should i replace the insert, freestanding stove in the unfinished cellar or replace the oil burner with a wood furnace?

as of right now im leaning towards a freestanding stove. i dont know antything about furnaces/

any opinions would be awesome but i need something with a good burn time the little dutchwest did ok for years but im sick or getting up at 2am to feed it so i wont be frozen in the morning

PE summit free-standing stove!!!! and keep the insert for super cold snaps or special evenings.

ive heard about the summit and i hear the blazeking was crated by god himself. do you know what they cost? i have a rough idea but not totally sure. oh and i would like something with an ash bin if at all possible. my old shenandoah has that in the cellar and its great.

Last edited:
You will get all sorts of opinions of brands and models if you're not careful... :confused:

However the better questions to ask yourself is:

What is my overall budget?

What is my overall heating goal? Wood as primary / secondary / support heat?

What are you heating with currently? Is there a case for ROI (return on investment) if you are heating with oil/propane/electric? Is so then your budget will allow for a better overall solution.

What is your house layout? Can you provide a drawing?

Any info you can share will help us steer you in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back