Insert replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmeritt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a tempco fireplace insert with glass bifold doors and a blower. I would like to replace it with a unit that has a sealed glass door and blower. I have a 2000 sqft home. Whada you guys have and what do you like?

Not sure what you mean by a sealed glass door. However, I am currently looking very hard at a Jotul C350 or C450. I just need to figure out which body part goes up for sale on ebay...:D

the kind of door on a free standing woodburner, you leave it closed all the time. My current insert has bifold doors so you can use it like an open hearth fireplace

********** may be the best place to find an answer for this.

I have a Jotul Rockland C550(?) and it heats my 1800 sq ft home, but it could do better. It is non-CAT and that is the biggest question you should consider. We burn about 5.5 cords a year in a house from the 80's with crappy storm windows in Mass. House temps during the winter are usually anywhere from 68-72F, if that helps any, and that is throughout the day (wife at home with kid.)

I have read nothing but great things about the Blaze King Princess (CAT.)

The Jotul's aesthetics are very pleasing, and the performance is certainly adequate. For a 24/7 burner, in retrospect I should have gone CAT. The Jotul also wasn't cheap by any means.

My 2 cents.

It Depends

Can you give us the dimensions of your masonry fireplace firebox? You want to put the biggest one in there you can afford. Once you give us the dimensions we can make some recommendations.

If you can do it I would go with a freestanding stove and keep the insert as a backup. The inserts are inefficient in my opinion. I have a medium pacific energy insert, it is ok but the firebox is way too small to be handy. If I had it to do again it would be a blaze king freestanding stove for me.

If you can do it I would go with a freestanding stove and keep the insert as a backup. The inserts are inefficient in my opinion. I have a medium pacific energy insert, it is ok but the firebox is way too small to be handy. If I had it to do again it would be a blaze king freestanding stove for me.

x2

I had a similar prefab fireplace that I put a Regency 2400 insert in. It was the largest I could fit in there. Would've liked to go larger but in order to do it right you cannot modify the Temco (other than taking the damper and doors off.
Make sure you get a blower with your insert as they are pretty useless without one.
Even tho it's not the greatest it's much much better than the fireplace.

If you get an insert, make sure to:

1) use a liner all the way to the top of your chimney - this will give you better efficiencies.

2) seal your smoke chamber with a steel plate or cement board - to stop any airflow in your chimney from cooling your firebox and from the crud to fall on top of your insert

3) Insulate with Rockwool or other fireproof material around the insert.

By doing this you'll really maximize your efficiencies and make sure any heat from your insert stays in your house.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Back