Inside the 372XP X-TORQ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh the vid happened...Now to figure out how to load the damn thing. I did have to sleep on the couch for it though...was it worth it? OH YEAH:chainsawguy::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

ChipMonger + computers = Epic fail lol.

Got pics too, i'll try and get them up later...And for those of you with kids and watch sponge bob square pants there are a couple that you might find amusing lol...Long story short i was dared at halloween to dress up as Patrick Starfish and then dared again to drop a tree while in costume...I dont back down from challenges or dares. So, you'll get to have a couple laughs as well.

BTW....Brad...The saw RIPS!!!:hmm3grin2orange::D

To put it mildly, I'm not a happy camper. In this line of work, it's bound to catch up to you sooner or later. I just blew up my first customers saw:( Yup, you read that right. I put nearly a tank of fuel through the saw, and it ran perfectly. But I thought there was more in it, brought it home, gave it a few degrees if ignition timing advance, and was tuning it. It was at WOT and IT happened! The bottom ring snagged on the bottom of the exhaust port, and busted out the crown of the piston. I immediately yanked it apart. To my amazement, the cylinder is fine.

Here's what caused it. As a general rule of thumb, you never mess with the bottom of the exhaust port. In this case, the port bottom was too flat for as wide as I made it. On the bright side, there is litterally at least 1/4" of piston skirt below the exhaust port when the piston's at TDC. By the time I have the port shaped like I want it, the place where the ring snagged will be completely gone. I got soooo lucky. I'm also super thankful this happened to me now, and not after I shipped it.

I'm trying to make contact to order a new piston, and will pay for next day shipping. If need be, I'll next day air the saw to it's owner, who needs it for a job starting next Friday. I've already talked to him, and thank goodness, he was gracious about it.

You've got to figure something like this will happen sooner or later, but that doesn't make it any easier when it does. I'm sure I'll catch some flack from this for a select few, but I've always been open, and hopefully someone besides me will learn from it. I'm not here to hide anything, so you get to see the good and the bad.

Here are the pics. I'm currently uploading the vid of the saw cutting Oak.

1114290341_R4S5n-M.jpg

1114290242_FurMs-M.jpg

1114290425_mTtvs-M.jpg

1114290510_PjGga-M.jpg

1114290608_7UfPZ-M.jpg

That happens to every one that build saws ,,,, it sucks but comes with the territory :)

The saw runs very good though, so you did good in the end !!!

Oh the vid happened...Now to figure out how to load the damn thing. I did have to sleep on the couch for it though...was it worth it? OH YEAH:chainsawguy::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

ChipMonger + computers = Epic fail lol.

Got pics too, i'll try and get them up later...And for those of you with kids and watch sponge bob square pants there are a couple that you might find amusing lol...Long story short i was dared at halloween to dress up as Patrick Starfish and then dared again to drop a tree while in costume...I dont back down from challenges or dares. So, you'll get to have a couple laughs as well.

BTW....Brad...The saw RIPS!!!:hmm3grin2orange::D

Hehehe, the challenge worked:clap: Glad you like the saw.

Are there any 'before' vids?
I saw a brand new stock 372XT run neck and neck
with a heavily modified and wickedly fast 2171.

I'd bet a stock 372XT would run with my 7900 and I
wonder if there was an appreciable gain in porting the XT.

Not hating, just wondering.

Seriously, a 7900?
Ruh roh!!!

I ain't run one yet, now I have to and soon.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

yes, seriously.
spike was running a new 372XT (only several tanks through) at the PA gtg and it was very fast.
i was kinda afraid to run my 7900 against it.... so i didn't.:D
but, the heavily worked 2171 was crazy fast and i requested that it be run against the 372xt and they were dead even.

i'd love to see a before and after porting comparo.....
if i missed a before vid while using the ipod... apologies.

I think a lesson I've learned is "fast" is a relative thing! Some saws I've seen rev to the moon & sound real impressive, but at the expense of torque & real world power to pull a chain under load.....what do you think chucker? Therefore before & after video's make some sense..but u still don't know 4 certain unless u run them yourself....in many motor sports a dyno is used to quantify what the rider/driver feels..we need a dyno here as a standard to test builds!

Last edited:
I am not really sure, but I have a distinct feeling that some people at this site do their "best" to couse problems for Brad on purpose, despite they don't need to?

I am not really sure, but I have a distinct feeling that some people at this site do their "best" to couse problems for Brad on purpose, despite they don't need to?

if directed at me... you are aiming at the wrong guy.
though i have been hung up in some 'scandles' involving snelling, i try not to instigate anything.

porting is for power gains...
if there is no gain then you shouldn't port it.;)

all i was trying to say is that the 372XT is very fast STOCK. therefor our seeing just an 'after' vid with a fast saw proves only one thing....
that the 372xt is fast. but it already was in stock form. :confused:

lol...I guess I've seen the fastest 80cc limbing saw on the planet once...could probably cut 15 inch and down at 14k plus even under pressure! Actually made an 70cc mistake that way...myself with simply a random muffler mod (for testing purposes btw)! Point is a reference point from a stock saw shows the gains or losses..but even then you don't see how the power band has been changed. Research and development with the time and numbers to back up a mod is the right way vs. a random approach. Saw are cheap..There is no way in HELL I would send my motorcycle components to be ground on unless there was a proven track record on that particular mod. So at a minimum, before and after documentation is a form of track record that can prove or disprove an approach. Opening ports might move the power up the rpm range..or just allow more rpm's Without tuning devices such as power valve, pipes, etc its real hard..especially on piston port designs to have generic mods add power everywhere!...So you tell me what you really know when watching a video of a saw cutting a random block of wood? I'm not wishing anyone bad gas..I just want to see the R&D done before accepting cash for generic mods. I want to see before and afters on the specific mods BEFORE having folks send their means of making a living...I also want to see testing to give a sense of reliability change..that can only happen with testing in the field over a period of time. A solution is having customer funded and reporting in concert with folks like Brad, where up front its known that this is an R&D project with all the risks implied..and in return reliability testing & field use reporting, and a before test with a verifiable after test is done by the willing partner in the R&D project.

This is a rather accepting group here and ripe for the taking as this is a developing motor sport and many forget the lessons learn in other more developed forms of motor sports (That are being repeated here!)...or never learned them as many never participated in other forms! So this is this huge international forum to a whole new audience! Very powerful stuff. I have seen this before and wonder why we have to repeat it yet again...Yoshimura & Pro Circuit, Jack Roush and so many others in motorcycles, snowmobiles, and cars show how to play this game. We need to do the same here for those who modify for money..(as compared to the enthusiast who's knowingly hacking up a saw for fun..and if it doesn't work...who cares!)

Oh..BTW, any one can say.."yes its faster" and broad cast that in cyber space!..U know my first thoughts are going to be, by how much? And how do you know? Show me the numbers!

Another time proven way is..racing. That's a way to test mods vs. both stock and other guys. SO an answer to the question posed above could be...I took second place in class....XYZ Whatever against the following saws..and my times were...etc. And the saw that won was also built by the same guy who did mine!

What do u think guys..is that going to happen with these Strato saws mods?

I just called and talked to Chipmonger to checkup on my "patient". He's been out working the saw on a job, tried to make a post last night, but had issues with AS. He's put 5-6 tanks through the saw and says it's really waking up. The saws running great, says it's right on the heals of his ported 390XP:clap: We should here from him sometime this weekend, when he gets free from work.

Good to here it's doing well. I would like to see a video of both of them if he can get it on here.

Latest posts

Back