install a outside wood boiler(central boiler)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
it seems that the dealer network in my area is small. i found a
dealer that will install the unit. ( i have gas forced hot air and
gas hot water)
install 6048 with 2 additional chimneys
install heat exchanger on water heater and furnace(140 k h/e coil)
install a whole list of parts, fittings,etc…
install concrete slab boiler unit,trench line,(135’ of pex) back fill
line,supply permit for boiler.

total labor $3358.00

what do you guys think about that labor price?

Well, its a lot considering you are looking at one day's work, maybe two because of the slab curing.

He needs to bring a backhoe over to dig the trench, thats probably $5-800 right there.

Does that price include your insulated pipe from the boiler to the house also? If not I would say you are being raped. If so its not a bad price.

sounds high, I installed mine myself and it was pretty darn easy, did it during the construction of our house so the excavator trenched the underground pipe for free. But still I hear about 1500 to 2000 dollars is kinda the going rate, that including the water heater option and a garage unit heater ran

like anything else, it depends on the geographic location. every state has it's standard of living which determines the cost of anything. because a contractor in one state charges more than another, it doesn't always mean someone is getting ripped off.

but, any time contemplating hiring a contractor, get at least two or three bids, in writing and detailed as to what work is going to be done and when it is finished. also, make sure that there aren't any additional costs because he forgot to add something later. ask questions and get things in writing.

ask what you can do to reduce the costs.

Last edited:
hat price include your insulated pipe from the boiler to the house also? If not I would say you are being raped. If so its not a bad price.

yes it does. 135' of it. thats labor only. and permit,pad, electric plumbing ect....

i will break it down

deliver and install unit 6048
install heat exchanger on water heater and furnace(140 k h/e coil)
install a whole list of parts, fittings,etc…which includes these big price ticket items---( a talco 014 pump,side arm h/e, 100' central pex tube,anti scald valve,spark arrester, 135' of insulated pex tube)
install concrete slab for boiler unit,trench line,(135’ of pex insulated ) back fill
line,supply permit for boiler.
for $14,000 total price.

To me that sounds high as a kite

For that kind of money you could be into a gasification unit. You will not live long enough(nor will that boiler) to ever break even. IMHO

i seem to not be able to find outside gasification unit.

Thats not a bad profit. I installed mine (woodmaster 5500) for under 10 grand. Took two days and one of them was pouring the cement pad and waiting for it to cure.

Yeah I installed my Woodmaster 175' from my house AND I ran 1500' of Pex and a whole separate setup for my barn myself for under 10k. I also did a 8x8 slab.

Whats the price on the CB units itself? It must be about 7k-8k.

And why are you getting such a big boiler? There is no reason to use that size boiler just to heat a house

have you bought a boiler yet or just getting prices??

I dont want to get into this topic if you have already bought a unit.

shayne

I agree with Huskyman .
Unless you are building a shop or have a alot of free wood to burn a smaller unit that is of newer desighn and emits less smoke or a gasification unit is the way to go.
my unit is rated for 250000 btu and does fine heating just my 2800 sq ft home and if I had to do it again I would get a gasifacation unit .
my greenhouse is the breaking point here as it needs about 300000 btu alone.

bassman:
i am not committed on any unit yet.

i live on a farm and there is a potential that in a few years i may install a greenhouse and heat my pole barn. for now its just my house.

i measured my house which is a two story L X W AND I CAME UP WITH 5000 sq. ft. correct me if i am wrong, is that the proper way to calculate your total house sf.?

bassman:

i live on a farm and there is a potential that in a few years i may install a greenhouse and heat my pole barn. for now its just my house.

i measured my house which is a two story L X W AND I CAME UP WITH 5000 sq. ft. correct me if i am wrong, is that the proper way to calculate your total house sf.?

5000 sq ft is a HUGE house, more than twice the size of the average home. What is the size of your home?

first floor 70 x 35 = 2450
second floor the same
4900 sf

Man you must have some scary heating bills right now.

I dont know if you have a Woodmaster dealer in the area but the 5500 Woodmaster is over $1000 cheaper than the CB you are looking at and big enough to handle your needs.

Either way I would get two more estimates before you buy anything. Its almost too late to get any benefit from an OWB this late in the winter anyways

Big Boiler

bassman:

I have to disagree with the other guys. I bought a much larger Woodmaster than my dealer recommended. I have never been sorry. I just put more wood in it without checking as often. My dad bought the size smaller than mine (and he has a smaller house) and wishes he had the bigger one. If you can, go with the biggest stove you can afford (just my opinion).

Back