Insulated Pex

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent personally used it.

This is what I read on ********** about it,

Someone had a OWB installed and ran the insulated pex on top of the ground until it could be buried in spring. There was not enough heat lose to melt the snow from on top of it. Sounds like its worth the extra cost to me.

Looks great,BUT did you see the pricing on twin 1" 23.85 a foot! Thats more than double therm plex ,logstor which looks to be an identical product.If that pricing is accurate,Id look at logstor.

whats the price between central boiler's thermo pex and logstor?:dizzy::cry:

You need to check locally,prices vary from dealer to dealer.ive heard as high a 14.00 a ft ,and as low as 10.50 a ft for the logstor.I got a price of 14 a ft locally,but I didnt exhaust every resource either,I looked quickly,then went with cheaper pex.I wish I didnt now.

pex insulation

I wrapped mine with 2 layers of 1/2" bonded carpet pad. After several days the snow melts off of the top but not that which is touching the sides of the pipe. Mine is on top of the ground. When I check the heat loss with an IR thermometer the heat loss is greater out of my OWB it self than the supply running to my house. Check it out.

igloo.

In NY the dealer I went through has duel 1" thermo-plex for 11$ per ft. I wanted 1" and a quarter because my hx has a 1 1/4 inlet and outlet. There is a wicked jump in price from 1 inch. I ended paying 32$ ft. Boy that was a kick in the pants.

In NY the dealer I went through has duel 1" thermo-plex for 11$ per ft. I wanted 1" and a quarter because my hx has a 1 1/4 inlet and outlet. There is a wicked jump in price from 1 inch. I ended paying 32$ ft. Boy that was a kick in the pants.

i hope you didn't have far to go!!:dizzy:

Do the math

How many square feet of surface area on your line to house? How many square feet on your OWB? If your line is buried in 56 degree soil and your OWB is exposed to 32 degree or less out door temp where do you think the massive heat loss is going to be? The greater the temp differential the greater the heat loss is going to be with an equal amount of insulation.

igloo.

How many square feet of surface area on your line to house? How many square feet on your OWB? If your line is buried in 56 degree soil and your OWB is exposed to 32 degree or less out door temp where do you think the massive heat loss is going to be? The greater the temp differential the greater the heat loss is going to be with an equal amount of insulation.

igloo.

Sounds good in theory,but in reality,the pipe in the ground not only needs to stay insulated,but dry as well. It has to do both things.An R100 wrap in the ground is useless if the 6" drain pipe it is in starts to leak 2 yrs later,and gets the insulation wet. The logstor wont get wet.The insulation sold inside the 4 or 6" drain piles eventually can leak,and get wet.

Sounds good in theory,but in reality,the pipe in the ground not only needs to stay insulated,but dry as well. It has to do both things.An R100 wrap in the ground is useless if the 6" drain pipe it is in starts to leak 2 yrs later,and gets the insulation wet. The logstor wont get wet.The insulation sold inside the 4 or 6" drain piles eventually can leak,and get wet.

yup,, i'd rather spend $1200 and bury it once, then to spend 600, bury it, 2 years later, tear it up, spend the $1200, and bury it again, all 100'....

That looks like the stuff Central Boiler sells. My dealer claims you can leave it on top of the ground and the snow will not melt. They want $11 a foot for 1" and $15 a foot for 1 1/4"

Any moisture that my insulation would be exposed to would be very minute.
If outside moisture got into the tube that my pex is in it would drain into my basement, any moisture that the insulation absorbed would be expelled by the 160 to 190 degree temp of the pex inside and the vapor would escape via the air space between the insulation and the outer plastic barrier.

igloo.

central said it looses 1 degree for 100ft
WHM enterprise said logstor looses 1/2 degree for 100ft. they wanted $12/ft for true 1" ID.

Any moisture that my insulation would be exposed to would be very minute.
If outside moisture got into the tube that my pex is in it would drain into my basement, any moisture that the insulation absorbed would be expelled by the 160 to 190 degree temp of the pex inside and the vapor would escape via the air space between the insulation and the outer plastic barrier.

igloo.

Tell that too the now ex-shaver dealer here who just had to dig up his lines because he now loses 20 degrees 4 yrs after installing his,he used to lose 4-5 degrees.He is burning a ton of wood too.Your telling me your lines are installed ,and pitched perfect,no low spots? Its all pitched like a septic system? Even if it was there isnt enough air movement to get rid of all the moisture as it enters the pipe.Most pipe insulation acts like a sponge,and absorbs water.This is can happen,the 4 and 6" drain pipe is not meant to keep water out,its a very cheap way of piping water.I have the same thing mine is fine for now,but i got a feeling im going to pay for what i saved one day.Had I known this when i bought i would have bought logstor,or put it all in sch 40 6" PVC. If my post helps one person not do what I did, then its worth it.

When i installed my owb last fall i used a urecon pvc pipe to run my pex line thru. It has 1.5 inches of insulation on the outside of pipe. The ground did not thaw out above it.

Very good point John D. I originally planed to use sch 40 pvc but got tight on funds, mine is still on top of the ground and I have had no increase in heat loss. This is my first winter with owb and the system has performed as I expected, not all that efficient but keeps the house real comfy and I havn't burned any gas. I'm running 6" outer pipe open in the back of my burner and the basement and I haven't seen an increase in the temp inside the pipe. By the way temp of outside of insulation on my burner is 84 degrees and the temp inside my 6" pipe to my house is 72 degrees.

igloo.

Back