insulating chimney with liner w/pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolhawk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok insulated chimney yesterday roughly 26 ft long 12x12 clay crock 6 inch stainless liner for indoor wood furnace that I have been heating whole house with (2700 sq. ft. ) for 3 full winters . and a 3 inch s.s. for hot water tank. Took 5 bags of vermiculite at 7.99 a bag . My chimney only gets build up in the top 3 feet the rest is SPOT LESS !!! , Just wanted to show what I did and get your thoughts . It was much eaiser than i was planning for.
Ray

excellent job

Looks kind of like that chimbley is out in the middle of nowhere in the last pic.

did you just fill the rest of the ceremic with vermiculite? how well does it do? I was thining of adding it to mine

Yes

the whole chimney is filled , it was very simple to do. It is a tall one it is against the house for the 1st story then stands alone to the top, there is a support rod from the 2nd story roof built into the masonary.

clean

How do you plan cleaning any soot? The corrugated flex pipe looks like it would wear out if you ran a brush through it a few times????:chainsaw:

????

Liner is s.s. ,brush is a stiff plastic type material , cleans very easy, I have a man lift that takes me to the top and tkeke me less than 10 minutes to clean, no wear to the brush or liner.

I used perlite

I did 35' of my stone chimney (12x12 clay tile lined) with perlite beads when I installed a new fireplace insert and SS pipe. I originally was going to use vermiculite, but did some research and found that perlite has a higher temp rating and is often used around industrial furnaces, etc. It was about the same price and seems to work fine. Vermiculite is also a good choice. Both should insulate the pipe and result in a warmer pipe for a greater distance, cutting down on creosote buildup and drafting better, no?

I did an online search and found out there is a perlite association. From that I found out that a company manufactures in northern wisconsin (cant recall name of company). called the factory and asked who their dealer was in my area. The local dealer only did special orders on it, so had to pay like $3 a bag extra (total of $8 bag).

vermiculite

The best place to buy vermiculite is masonary block suppliers , they use this stuff the most in industry to lighten up and insulate block fill morter , could not find the stuff anywhere the I was told to check there and found 3 suppliers in my area.

Latest posts

Back