Insulating Concrete Slab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 2" polystyrene under my floor in my house. It works quite well! The other stuff is based on reflection and needs an airspace for the reflection to work. Some of it has its own air space but I imagine it must deflate eventually.
I have heard of large slabs installed with no insulation underneath, just insulation down the sides on the frost wall. The idea is that you heat part of the ground up and it acts as heat storage in addition to the slab.

Ian

are you going to have continual heat?

Or just heat it when you want to go out there to work?
Without lots of insulation under the slab the heat will be slow in coming up.. I have 2 feet vertical perimeter, and 2 inch of Pink board 8 feet in.. and the center is crushed limestone to act as a reserve.. But it is my 3200 square foot house. Love radiant.. never ever live in another forced air home.
as for the bubble wrap..I researched when I built three years ago.. I could not be sold on the cheap way.
http://www.pbase.com/ericjeeper/pole_barn_house
for photos of my home and install

Rebar

Use some rebar in that slab, or at the very least, mesh. All I have to say, seen what happens when people cheap out on it.

Your right it is cheaper...but that is not the issue, I was more just asking since there is always new technology out there and want to do what is best. My orginal plan was to use the 2" pink board around the sides on edge buried down 2' and none under the slab. And I plan to use wire mesh in the concrete to hook the pex to.

Scott

2" Insulation Under Slab

I have not had any experience with the product you mentioned.
Here in Ontario (similar climate to Michigan) I used 2" under the floor and 2" under the perimeter side walk with 2" vertical on the sides of the slab as well. This is on my 24 x 48 Garage.

Very east to heat with baseboard heaters at this point. I also pile 4 cords of wood around the side and back of the building on the sidewalk.

Note this is an engineered slab with lots of rebar.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Thanks Andrew

Latest posts

Back