Insulating Pex

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extra lines?

I noticed in the installation manual for the Woodmaster that there are 4 valves and a drain. 2 supply and 2 return, so one set must be for an out building. I had hoped to heat an attached garage some day, so I wonder if those extra connections should be plumbed and run through during the initial installation. Looks like I would have to go larger on the drain pipe, maybe a 6" instead.

Anybody done this?

Thanks!

Hay fourustircom If your not to far away from charlottle MI come on over and I'll show you some good stuff and some OK stuff. I have some microflex here at the shop....

I noticed in the installation manual for the Woodmaster that there are 4 valves and a drain. 2 supply and 2 return, so one set must be for an out building. I had hoped to heat an attached garage some day, so I wonder if those extra connections should be plumbed and run through during the initial installation. Looks like I would have to go larger on the drain pipe, maybe a 6" instead.

Anybody done this?

Thanks!

What size is the house and the size of the garage? Most of the time 1 hot and 1 return is all you will need for a house and attached garage. You can spend about the same about on 6" pvc then trying to wrap it and put it in the pipe as the about of a good type underground pipe, Trust me spend the money on good under ground pipe. It will pay off in time. How far are you running.

Insulation

Thanks for the response, Jack! We're about an hour from you, west of Flint, Swartz Creek. Got pictures? I've seen most of what's available in preinsulated tubing from foam filled drain tube to wrapped PEX in a drain tube. Looks like the trick will be getting insulated PEX through a corrigated, non perforated pipe.

I talked to the dealer who we will probably buy a Woodmaster 4400 from and he has seen spray on closed cell foam applied over the drain tube for extra insulation.

What are you asking for your stuff?

Thanks!

logstor?

So, Tanker, where does one find THIS stuff? Denmark? Cost? Flexible? Looks like the oil & gas industry use it so I'll bet it's pricy!

Thanks!

Pex @ Menards

The Woodmaster dealer told me about an ad he saw for 1" PEX at Menards. 150' for $100. Best I can do in my area is $1.47/ft. His was $1.20/ft.

fourustircom if you are interested in seeing a 4400 Woodmaster in action you are welcome to come up to my place and see mine, I am about a half hour from you.

I used both loops on my 4400, one to my house and the other to my pole barn. The downside to using both is you need another pump. The upside is much warmer water going to the second building. It all depends on how your boiler is set up, how far the runs are, etc.

Location?

Thanks for the offer, Huskyman. What direction are you from me? I have to be in Warren, near Detroit, tomorrow PM. Maybe on the way home?

Directions?

Thanks!

I sell microflex for 11 a foot but if you come buy it, it will be 10.50 foot....I would say I havent seen a better underground line.

1 pex can be bought a menads for less then a buck a foot, we sell it for 1.10foot. WoodMasters are a good stove. I dont have any pics online, no way to do it at the shop but you can always give me a shout at the shop, 517-543-1116, mite have to leave a message but i'll call you back. Logstar is very hard to move around anything. trust me I have put it in and its a great product but polyurathane does lose its insulating facter after time.

Logstar

So, what kind of insulation does Logstar use? I know if something like foam crack filler is used it will absorb moisture since it's open cell foam. The your "R" factor goes out the window.

So, what kind of insulation does Logstar use? I know if something like foam crack filler is used it will absorb moisture since it's open cell foam. The your "R" factor goes out the window.

"spray foam type" also it doesnt move worth a darn.

So, Tanker, where does one find THIS stuff? Denmark? Cost? Flexible? Looks like the oil & gas industry use it so I'll bet it's pricy!

Thanks!

purchased from the c.b. dealer that I bought my boiler from in Greenville Ohio.He has it in bulk and will sell you however much you need. Logstor will bend a 32'' radius. I would recomend it to anyone for its ability to prevent heat loss. I think that I gave $11.00ft when I bought mine.Its kind of like buying the boiler,spend the money 1 time,do it right and then you will be happy with it Figure what you are going to spend on separate waterlines,solid tile, insulation and fittings,I bet you will be closer to the price of good pipe than you thought

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back