insurance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nositting

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ok, i have a question... my friend and i have been doing some tree removal for friends/family over the past couple of months. yes, we've talked to MANY people about techniques, shadowed a professional for a day out of curriosity (i know one day doesn't make anyone an expert), read the tree climbers companion, STARTED SLOW AND LOW, and always use a second safetly line that the partner mans while ascending and descending. clearly we have safety on our minds the entire time. we enjoy the tree work and are looking into arbor courses in VA. so, the question... who do you suggest we call if we're interested in getting insurance? thanks to anyone who can help! i enjoy this site.

First, do some more work for other companies. Ground as a subcontractor. (Read cash jobs) this'll get you more knowhow. Removals are the dangerouse things. And actualy ascending on a belay with an inexperianced belayman is dangerous!

Like the otherguy said, shop the brokers.

Idunno about there, but here in Florida the procedure order is :
1) Liability insurance- $300,000 minimum here, most go for $1,000,000. Look in the yellow pages for business insurance. You can shop price, but a reputable agent is important. Most clients want a certificate of insurance and good agents will mail them out the same day you request them.
2) City license (if you are located within city limits)
3) County license - much cheaper than city license, usually $50 per yr.
Glad to see new people trying to learn and do things right. If you survive the first few years, you should have some good stories one day about 'the good old days before we got good!'

well, i would say if you do enough tree work, then try for the hartford. however they will not cover you unless you have something like 3 years of experience or more. i have 2 years experience now. one more year and i can go with them, right now i am covered by indian harbor or something like that. i am covered for 1,000,000 and it costs me about 2700 for the year. tree work / landscaping / snow

"actualy ascending on a belay with an inexperianced belayman is dangerous!"

sorry, perhaps i gave the wrong impression here... what i meant was that the ascender was climbing with a split tail & blakes hitch while ALSO on belay. we went with this system for a couple of reasons... 1) we liked having the second line for safety and 2)my partner has some experience with rock climbing. we understand well however, that a good rock climber doesn't necessarily make a good arborist. thank you to everybody who replied; we'll look into your suggestions.

If the fellow you have your truck and home insurance is a broker, try to do business there from the point of view of building a relationship and only one cheque to write - very important if you're memory is as "good" as mine.

The broker will be able to shop the market for you. I have my home, trucks, wife's business, real estate, snow plowing, backhoe and tree coverage all from the same broker, though the actual insurance companies difffer. One cheque to write. Where did I put my pen?

I agree with the Deere man. Try to get a broker to cover all. Your prop., auto , work, etc. You most likely will get some kind of a discount.& its is better to know when to expect that 1 payment
unsted of 3 or 4 insurance payments per month.

Insurance is pretty convoluted to figure out. I have a million dollar policy thru my Farmers Insurance agent where I also have my auto policy. He found a company called "Desert Specialty Underwriters" and the actual insurance ended up being with a company in England. Cost me just shy of $1700/year for the policy. I'm glad to have the insurance, it makes the clients feel better, but I hope I never have to fill out a claim form....

Insurance should be your first investment. Even doing work for friends and family can get you into trouble. What if the tree you are working for your family falls onto a passing car?

Get insured, get educated, get trained, be safe.

Thanks,

TMW

Im glad I dont compete in tree work anymore. & all that is involved, Bids etc. When ever insurance is brought up, the hair on the back of my neck stands up.I always carried full insurance, But thats what killed me . The monthly payments, Comp. , libiality, medical. Funny thing is I got served court papers 2 days ago for a tree that we trimmed in 1999. Seams a young boy fell out of the tree & did permante damage to him self. Well the owner of the tree (city) is making us responsable.Im sure glad I had insurance on this one.Now ive got the life of reily. Now I just put bids in against my own manufactures.I did get offered a pretty temting job, as a gen. foreman with a tree outfit. Its sounding much better day by day.

Last edited:
Yea I hear you,I am not competitive naturally,and feel great about it.Don't have time for that mess.I just figure that the customer pays for my Ins., W.comp,etc, and try not to let it get me down,there is enough crap already in the world to deal with.There was a kid here in N.Fla. that was attacked by a shark a few weks ago,You can bet some slick lawyer will try and sue the city.Damn I HATE lawyers.

Latest posts

Back