Intake porting too high?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xinger

550xp
Reaction score
Hi all, after doing a ton of reading from all the great post on here I finally decided to try a port job on a 55 rancher that's been sitting around for a while.

I somehow managed to go high on the intake side, even though my plan was to only widen it. I realized the potential dangers of having an exposed ring in the intake but that's where I am sitting right now and have a few questions.

I have a squish of .04 with the gasket removed so I could get the base machined down to .02 give or take but even at that the ring will still be about half way exposed at BDC.

Has anyone ran a saw like this?
How much does this effect timing?
Any way to fill some of the wall back?
What is the biggest concern? Catching a ring? Or timing?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Keep in mind it's my first job and not at final stages.
Hard to see in picture but pretty much full thickness of ring sticking below top of port

Unfortunately my friend, without some serious dropping of that jug, I wouldn't run it....

Most I've cut out of a squish band I s .060. I don't know if .060 would tuck that ring back in or not...

Yeah kinda what I was thinking.... I only have .02 to deal with. What would the saw run like... Not suggesting I would run it but just curious.

Yeah kinda what I was thinking.... I only have .02 to deal with. What would the saw run like... Not suggesting I would run it but just curious.

I doubt it would run very long without catching that ring and causing destruction. Sorry to say it but I'd probably get another cylinder. Or maybe JB weld that area lol :)

Latest posts

Back