Intermittant sprocket problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I posted this over in the firewood posts, but it was suggested some of you guys may have some better ideas.

I was cutting today with my 372, and for no apparent reason the saw began to bog. Checked to make sure I was not clogged with chips, did a bit of noodling to start out with. Nothing.
Back to the woodpile, the bogging continued, acted like it had a loss of power, but engine wise it sounded fine. A quick turn of the chain indicated the problem.
Heres the problem. The sprocket nose binds only when warm.Pumped it full of grease again, but the problem persisted. After it cools, its fine.Turns freely.
This bar is only two months old, and I have kept it well greased. An examination didnt show up anything stuck in it like a chip or anything, even under a good magnifying glass.
Any ideas?Are the bearings really shot already?
Never had a bar go out this quick.

I would soak the tip in solvent or gasoline over night. Then hit the grease holes good with compresses air (an air nozzle with a rubber pointed tip helps). As you force compressed air into the grease hole, rotate the tip to clear out all the old grease and wood fiber.
You’ll know it’s clean when the sprocket spins freely.
After you get totally degreased and clean, then try running it with out grease.

Back